Düsseldorf Schlageter 1933

Came across this amazing post. Thank you all involved thoughtout the years. This sort of post is invaluable. I have this tinnie which is also Schlageter related. So this is another tinnie for a memorial day in south Holstein remembering the fallen Schlageter.
Thank you all

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
There are other badges that were just for the Schageter celebrations on the same day - identical to the Gebietsjugendtag badges, just without the wording HJ ..etc..
here are the bronze and silver versions of those....

Hello,

there was only one valid badge. And that is what is pictured.

Pele

Attachments

Sorry, I forgot a picture

Attachments

Hi Guys,

This Tinnie was my very first one, so allow me to say a few words about it. Also, it is like a good bye to this fantastic city crossed by the Rhein.

What always caught my attention is that there are 2 crosses in this Tinnie. Why this? And what or who was Schlageter? You can see 3 pictures of this badge attached. Picture 3 belongs to my collection and Picture 4 belongs to Stuart’s collection (page 8 of Hitler Youth tinnies/ Day Badges Database )

In such a small thing, there is a big history behind.

I will be starting for the end, the crosses. The Christian and the Swastika together make a weird match. Well, we know that the Protestant youth groups joined the HJ with no much difficulty. But with the Catholic Church, that was a different history. But no. the Christian church doesn’t symbolize any church, the explanation is far simpler, that cross was the memorial site of Albert Leo Schlageter (see picture attached).

And now, we go to our second question. Who was Schlageter? And why his name is in a HJ Tinnie? And what has to do with Düsseldorf?

To understand who was Schlageter, we have to go back to 1922. When he was part of the Freikorps in Upper Silessia (East from Germany and now part of Poland). Since that year, it is believed that he got in contact with the NSDAP.

But it was during 1923 where he became famous (or for the French, infamous). This year was famous in Germany because the Hyperinflation, which helped to “not” meet the repayments that Germany had to make to France, in concepts of reparations for the WWI. France, claiming what it was believed to be theirs, took a strong action against the German, occupying the Ruhr area, West of Germany and industrial heart of it, apart from all the mines located there.

Schlageter was part of the “passive resistance” against the French Forces with act of sabotage. Until he was arrested and condemned to death. He was executed near Düsseldorf on the 26th of May 1923.

Obviously, his death was always “revived” by the Nazis as apart of their philosophy of remembering the Martyrs for Germany. So you can imagine, put yourself as a HJ kid in 1933, in the middle of the forest around the fire with more kids like you, and one of them telling the histories of his fights, his heroic acts against the invading French troops, those black soldiers who humiliated Germany and German women. I can imagine how “encouraging” for those kids this type of history sounds.

So all the pieces of the Tinnie have been already found. We know the reason for the cross (Memorial), for the date (10 Years of his death) and for Düsseldorf.

I told you guys, didn’t I? There was a big history behind this Tinnie.

Best Regards

Antonio

Great information! I just copped it to my files. Thanks.
Joew

Came across this amazing post. Thank you all involved thoughtout the years. This sort of post is invaluable. I have this tinnie which is also Schlageter related. So this is another tinnie for a memorial day in south Holstein remembering the fallen Schlageter.
Thank you all

Yours is one of the best I’ve seen. All the wording is clear and easy to read. I’m jealous.
Joe

Back