Thanks Received
Hi Guys,

Let me show you my new acquisition, a lovely Widukind tinnie.

It is the Gold version of it. But you can see how beautiful the Silver version is from our comrade Collect100 in this link:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f27/hj-tinnies-day-badges-database-21/index11.html

But, at the end of the day, who was Widukind? And why the horses? It has to be maybe with Reiter HJ?

You all know about the Nazis and History. When they got in power, the started to promote the history of Germanic leaders and German war achievements. Tales over Schlagater were told to HJ/DJ kids in dark nights around the fire. Also about leaders like Götz von Berlichingen, whose name was again famous for being taken for the name of the 17. SS Panzergranadier-Division.

Widukind was a Saxon leader who lived between the VIII and IX centuries. Enemy of Charllemagne and other Saxon leaders. Having said that, it was Charllemagne the one who won over Widukind. And now the part of the horses (or that is what I believe). So he was captured but his life was saved with the promise of him getting baptised (It’s been said that Charllemagne was his Godfather after all). And the Horses?

Well, the history tells that he was riding a black horse before his baptise, but after, he was riding a white one. To be honest, his life is not very well known and it has been also told that he died in a part of Germany called Nordrhein-Westfalen (Bundesland, whose capital city is Dusseldorf, amazing 14 months of my life that I sepnt there). Something is for sure, you can find a white horse in its crest.

Well, a little bit of history for Friday!

Take care my comrades!!!

Regards

Antonio

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Antonio, a great looking Tinnie and thankyou for the historical piece on Widukind , it explains beautifully the horses heads on the Tinnie:thumbup:

Nick

Thanks guys, I have to admit I also had find trying to get info about it!!!

Now, I must check for the next target, 2 in mind...

Regards

Antonio

Back