Golden HJ badge stampings

Thanks Received
Hi Guys

Does ayone know how the issue number stampings were applied to Golden HJ badges ?

What I mean is were they stamped after the complete badge was manufactured (the logical way to me) or before the enamel and pin was applied ?

How did they prevent the enamel from sustaining damage during the stamping process if the stamping was done after the complete badge was manufactured ?

Regards

P

Good question and something I've wondered about too. The RZM marks were part of the die but quite how the companies got the issue serial number onto the badges without damaging the enamel is a mystery to me. Thinking logically the number must have been applied to a finished badge but I've no idea how.

engraving would be the obvious answer as any real contact would cause damage, but i would have thaought that engraving at that size would have not been as accurate as the numbers actually are

IMO they were impressed, just like with the Golden Party Badge. And it could only be done before the enamelwork. It was only a serial number so I suppose they follewed a list.
Stamping create a malformed area around the edges of the lettering. With impressing they stay nice and clean. Because replacement Golden Party Badges had to carry the party number they were roto-engraved. This could be done with GPB's wich were already been enameled. Replacement HJ Honour awards had no serial number, only a "B" designation. Or they used M1/120 with erased serial numbers who were received a new pinplate and sold as replacement badges.

Regards, :)

What's the difference between stamping and impressing? Only with engraving there is material removed I think..

Simply said: stamping would be a die with a digit (in raised relief) placed on the surface of the medal and then smashed on the backside of the die by using a hammer. It create malformed edges into the surrounding metal.

With impressing a set of dies with digits (in reaised relief) would placed in a holder and by pull over an handle, the number is more gently pressed into the soft surface of an award. It doenst' disturb the area around the impression.

Regards, Wim :)

Replacement HJ Honour awards had no serial number, only a "B" designation.

Hi Wim, I have an RJF regulation here dated 1940 which states that replacement HJ-Ehrenzeichen were 'no longer' to be issued with a serial number. The implication then is that replacements prior to 1940 were issued with a serial number and that the B badges must date to after that point.

That's interesting Garry!

I only wonder how they would applied that serialnumber in an already enameled badge?. Maybe the had to be officially order for a new one? And manufactures received lists with new serial numbers they had to apply on unfinished planchets? They did more extra work in those times as you can imagine in today's live! Himmlers mother repaired his underwear. Those were different times.

:) The numbers on these badges certainly do appear to be impressed so as you say, replacement badges must have been made to order from scratch.

It took around 8 weeks for the replacement badge to arrive so that may be a very good indication that the provisioning of a replacement was more complicated than simply grabbing a 'B' badge out of a box in the factory.

It makes it also logical that Wilhelm Deumer appeared late into the production. They made "B" types together with the highest serial numbered pieces

Interesting that you have found out that it took 8 weeks to get a new badge.:thumbup1:

Back