Who wore my HJ Honour badge? (HJ Ehrenzeichen)

Here's another one Henrik if you don't mind:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Lieselotte ...........
Harburg

Bollinger would work possibly but there doesn't seem to be any trace of a dot for the i.

And another:

Attachments

Here's another one Henrik if you don't mind:

Lieselotte ...........
Harburg

Bollinger would work possibly but there doesn't seem to be any trace of a dot for the i.

And another:

I'd read the second one as Wilhelm Schwer from Stemmen (village between Bremen and Lüneburger Heide). I'm quite sure that the first two letters build a so called Ligatur between S and t.

Attachments

hi collectors i recently purchased this honour badge its my second one i wanted to know if anyone out there can trace the number or should i say issue number it is 94122. i've attached some photo's to the post or thread. it'll be much appreciated if anyone out there can help us out prost cheers guys...

thanks guy for your input

Attachments

hi collectors i recently purchased this honour badge its my second one i wanted to know if anyone out there can trace the number or should i say issue number it is 94122. i've attached some photo's to the post or thread. it'll be much appreciated if anyone out there can help us out prost cheers guys...

thanks guy for your input

I haven't come across any information yet on this particular number unfortunately.

At Militaria321 you can buy a Besitzurkunde/Certificate which looks authentic to me and would top the previous highest paperwork number by 50,000. Josef Rauscher, Wien/Vienna, member since 1938 (number 200,417).

Attachments

Thanks for posting this one Jack. So far I only have one source from the austrian HJ-Gebiete which puts a name to a badge number (this one is in the 116k range) so I can't yet put the number that you found into any context. I have a period source for my current highest award serial (153641 - reported lost in 1936) and in front of me I have an order from Gebiet Wien from as late as July 1943 showing the award of the badge at that time by the Reichsjugendführer to twelve male and four female higher leaders in Austria so who knows? The badge was awarded for approx 9 years and not just to those who qualified solely by virtue of their early membership so perhaps a badge in the 200k range may well be a historical possibility. More evidence needed though as I say.

Yes, it would be interesting anyway to know the Austrian membership figures during the prohibition period of 1933-38. That can certainly be found somewhere. As you can see, it was enough to have joined in 1938 before the Anschluss to get the Golden Badge. Towards 1938 there must have been considerably more, even if the membership figures of the Austrian Ständestaat youth organisation must have been massively higher.

The question is whether the Austrians were simply counted somewhere, or whether they were added to the block after a certain fixed number.

The Gebietsbefehle for the austrian Gebiete may be of assistance with matching name to badge and therefore giving us the number ranges issued to them but I know from experience that the coverage is very patchy. Some of the Gebiete give great info in the orders where others don't so it's a bit of a lottery. Anyway, I've added your find and the other high number to the list.

Just a little more on these high numbers. It would seem that production really ramped up in 1936 as can be seen from the following serial numbers taken from Gebiet-level orders:

Badge number B141487 reported lost in Aug 1936.
Badge numbers 119578 and 153641 reported lost in Nov 1936 on the same list.

There were three deadlines issued by the RJF for applications (1936, 1937 and 1939) but issues of the badges were not finally stopped until 1943. I would think that each of those deadlines would have resulted in a jump in applications. In 1936 the RJF projected that it would be able to issue at least 80000 badges by March of that year despite supply problems and going by the badge numbers mentioned above they almost doubled that by the end of 1936. So, not unreasonable perhaps to expect badges with numbers as high as the austrian one shown by Jack I would think but we are going to need more evidence for badge numbers this high.

Thank you for this piece of research, Garry. One must also take into account that all the Austrians were probably added after the Anschluss in March 1938. If they were, then there should have been a significant jump in numbers in 1938 as well.
So it would be really important to know if there were Austrians among the previous awards, who would then have, at least from the Austrian point of view illegal and "secretly" received this decoration! That would answer whether the Austrians who joined early were awarded together, en bloc in 1938.

If anyone needs her name, it's Anneliese Drechsel from Speyer.

Interesting with a list of recipients of the golden HJ honour badges. Let me contribute with another recipient. I can´t deciphering the last name, but the first name is Wilhelm.

Attachments

Last edited:
Back