Cleaning HJ Knife

Thanks Received
Whats the best way to clean up stains, rust etc from the blade of a knife?
I was thinking of using Silvo and just rubbing it with a rag.
I have heard of buffing but i don't have access to a buffer.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

its a personal choics why not show some pics first so we can see what the prob is

Polished blades stand out a mile, decrease collecting value and not easy to shift if needed at a later date. It will also begin to remove any details like maker marks logos etc..

A simple wipe with a clean cloth to remove finger prints and general crap will be sufficient for most knives.

As Stuart correctly states lets see some photos before anything drastic happens, measure twice cut once etc

I'm still trying to work out my new camera but you should be able to make a decision by these two.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

from you pictures the blade is not normal HJ configuation with the bowie tip, it has either been modified or is the rarer version can't find any material on this in my library yet.
As for cleaning these knives where made in the millions and you get what you pay for. Yours is a grey blade and nothing you do now will change that. Simply clean the blade with a silvo type cleaner do not polish and put it on display

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul for the advice.
I will just give it a quick rub with some silvo and leave it at that.
The blade has been modified at some time.
Probably from the boy who owned it.
Thats why i bought it because you hardly see a personalised HJ Knife anywhere.

It looks like a Wilh. Weltersbach knife, early, but with ricasso, stretch diamond pattern grip plates and a small diamond. Is there any sign of the motto?

Regards

Russ

Sorry to say the motto is knowhere to be seen.
And it is a Weltersbach.
Is that the name of the maker or the factory it was made.

It's the maker name. It would have had a motto originally, but it has likely been removed by use or cleaning.

Regards

Russ

Interestingly no sign of a rzm mark? i have a early knife by this maker but this clearly is transitional, but you'd expect it to have the rzm code too... whats the size of the diamond. Is there a RZM designation for this maker, not every early producer made late knives and vice versa, if someone has 5mins to kill worth looking up

The knife would have been shaped after production, not sure if ive posted on here before the K&Co hj i have thats really been attacked to make a new shape

Mike, it has the look of a transitional knife (except for the plates) but it is possible that there was no RZM mark - maker mark only. I think the RZM mark would be stamped rather than etched but I've never seen one from this maker, so can't be sure. The RZM number for Weltersbach is M7/22.

It's really difficult to try and 'box' some of these knives to a certain period. Russ has an example that is a transitional: Weltersbach maker marked, Ges. Gesch. RZM M7/22, motto and no ricasso. Here we have a maker only, I think most likely with motto, possibly with a worn off RZM mark, with ricasso, and using the often seen early stretch grip plates. It also appears to have an early steel hilt rather than zinc.
Sometimes, the logical manufacturing pattern doesn't seem to be what we think it should be.

I also agree that the bowie shape was likely not done by the manufacturer.

Regards

Russ

Last edited:
Back