Controversial Hitler Youth "Honour" knife with SS runes and engraving

Thanks Received
Posted by member Ron Weinand on another forum one of the rarest most controversial of the known HJ engraved knives but should not be questioned IMO just drooled on

Admin edit: sorry Paul but we questioned it :)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

to be honest i would never pay the money something like this would be priced at unless i had 100% proof it was period, to me it looks no differant to the other engraved hj's you see about that are thought of as fantasy items or post was by most people

true these daggers are rare and not well known so exceptional caution is very wise also the prices demanded puts them into a category well above most pocket books. One point I would put forward is they are so rare and expensive why are there not more around. Having owned a similar example long ago my take is they do exist as period pieces.
:canada1

Yes, very controversial. Pretty ugly too in my opinion with that SS stuff splattered all over it. Not something I would personally ever want to own even if it came with rock-solid provenance but that's just me. What does he say about it Paul? Is it a WAF or GDC thread?

Wusthof Prototypes??

There is a series of Carl Wusthof produced pre-RZM series that utilize WWI Trench Knives produced by this company. One with HJ Diamond engraved in the hilt, one with the HJ Flag engraved in the hilt, one with the SS runes and one with a circle and a swastika in the center. All original period pieces and have been known for years as can be found in all the reference books on daggers starting with Angolia and Johnson.
There also is a series of different mottos: HJ and SS used with different hilts. Production seems to have been limited and, IMO, these were prototype pieces from the very beginning of dagger production in the TR.

Photo

Yes, I also have two period photographs of this style knife being worn. I would post here, but can't seem to figure out how to size my photos on this site to make it work.

Yes, I also have two period photographs of this style knife being worn. I would post here, but can't seem to figure out how to size my photos on this site to make it work.

Resize your pictures such that neither height nor width exceeds 1000 pixels and they will be accepted Ron.

Hj knives

I love it. I would say that it is from an overly enthusiastic HJ member that had the parents and the means to get a special dagger :001_smile: for their little Otto.

shame but i had my doubts that the pics would ever materialise, they would have to be very detailed to make out this particular dagger over a standard hj

speak of the devil and what arrives a very interesting pic from RON

Attachments

Early HJs

If you study the photos carefully, you can see the oversized crossguards and the placement of the retaining strap on the grip that is unique to these knives.
Too bad that Bernhard Rust was the subject of the second photo and that the HJ Leader from Ballenstedt was slightly out of focus, as the dagger he is wearing is definitely one of the Wusthof pieces.
The second photo is one from a personal photo album from the NaPoBi Schule that preceeded the NPEA Ballenstedt School and dates from the 1934 to 1935 period, as all the photos in this album (approx. 350) are all early and many have Bernhard Rust, future NPEA Leaders and Ministry of Eduction members.

THESE ARE GREAT PICS and I can see with no problem what they are and certainly compare with the one I owned years ago.It would seem essential to note these are both shown in wear very early on, and now would be interesting to see one in wear much later into the 40s unless the one with the GAULEITER is of that vintage.

:canada1

The Boy

Also, if you look at the boy in the photo where he is alone, note the cap insignia. I believe this is the first pattern HJ membership pin with the swastika in a half rising sun type pin, which certainly dates the photo as early IMO.
Sorry Paul it took me so long to respond, but I had to look through thousands of photos to find them.
When I say I have something, you can count on it. The question is how long will it take to find it???:thumb:

Back