Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Rus MANY YEARS AGO I bought a large vet hoarde and in it was a HJ knife dagger style blade. The grip and blade where entirely factory engaved with oak leaves. The dagger itself was well worn and was only to glad to trade it off to ANGOLIA WHO WANTED it in the worst way for on of his books from the 70s. He show other engraved knive which leads me to the conclusion that engraved knived where awarded from time to time

PAUL

Please login to view user info
    Thanks for the info Paul. Do you recall if the knife was a 'standard' HJ, or one of the earlier, un-official styles, often seen with and without engraved pommels and a few different mottos or slogans?

Regards

Russ

it definatley was not a standard knife

Paul, interesting information. Do you recall the shape of the blade and handle?

Paul, was it similar to this?

Regards

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is pretty much what it looked like except the blade was more knife or bowie style

PAUL

I personally do not own one of the DJ knives with the HJ diamond on the scabbard. I have noticed that all of this type of knife that I have seen pictures of, the small rivet that holds the metal parts inside the scabbard has been fooled with. This is evident due to the paint being chipped around the rivet. On all of my regular HJ knives the area around the rivet is perfect and unmessed with. It seems to me that these knives were disassembled to allow access for the prongs to be bent to hold the HJ diamond in place and then reassembled. If these scabbards were originally made to have the HJ diamond on them the bending of the prongs would have been done before the scabbard throat rivet was added. Does anyone have one of these knives with the original paint that doesn't show this scaring? Mike

Good observation Mike. Here's a pic that I saved from somewhere, ebay I think, which appears to show some paint damage around the rivet as you suggest. It's the only pic I have, and it is not entirely clear in that area, but it makes sense if these diamonds have been added postwar, that there could be some damage around the rivet area.

Regards

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

The knife on Empire Military Auctions mentioned in this thread also has the damage around the rivet. My personal belief is that the HJ emblem was added to an already finished complete knife directly after the war to sell to GI's to make them more appealing. The regular knife without the diamond was very plain and unsellable. Mike

Clever thinking about the marketability of 'jazzing' it up to make it much more appealing

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast