DLV or Slovakian HJ knife?

Guys i see no problems with the Slovak hj knifes in this thread i have seen many like this so no need to worry, Johns is a beauty & worth a small fortune:001_cool:
Regards sweezz.

i am lost!!!!!!!!!!
for my slovak HJ what do you think?????
it's a good one or not
and if you mark not, why???????
the other slovak knive in this post is a good?
thanks

Can someone do a synopsis of the thread please? We don't seem to have reached a conclusion unless I'm reading things incorrectly :noidea:

The PMs are undoubtedly helpful to those receiving them but for someone who reads the thread in the future this thread will be quite confusing I think.

Garry,

I honestly think part of the misunderstanding is due to language differences.

The synopsis: I have located two FAKE DLV daggers that have the same "winged" stamping on their scabbard throats as the two Slovakian HJ knives have on their blade ricassos.

All I have done is provide new information ..

A determination as to the authenticity of the two Slovakian HJ knives is entirely up to the owners.

That is what I stated to Thor62 in the PM I sent to him..

I also provided this link below to a known fake DLV knife with the near identical winged stamping on it's scabbard throat as is found on the blade ricassos of the two Slovakian HJ knives.

http://www.xxxxxx.com/pics/dlv-33d.jpg Admin Edit: the link was dead so I amended the site name.

The owner of the DLV knife shown in the above link knows that it is a fake and he provided the images to me as a learning tool. It is not for sale.

Ricasso = the flat metal shoulder between the grip and the blade

See my post #30 on this thread.

There will always be a difference of opinion in all aspects of TR collecting, that is what keeps it interesting ..

Hope this helps ..

Mike

Last edited:
Garry,

I honestly think part of the misunderstanding is due to language differences.

The synopsis: I have located two FAKE DLV daggers that have the same "winged" stamping on their scabbard throats as the two Slovakian HJ knives have on their blade ricassos.

All I have done is provide new information ..

A determination as to the authenticity of the two Slovakian HJ knives is entirely up to the owners.

That is what I stated to Thor62 in the PM I sent to him..

I also provided this link below to a known fake DLV knife with the near identical winged stamping on it's scabbard throat as is found on the blade ricassos of the two Slovakian HJ knives.

http://www.xxxxxx.com/pics/dlv-33d.jpg Admin: this link is dead

The owner of the DLV knife shown in the above link knows that it is a fake and he provided the images to me as a learning tool. It is not for sale.

Ricasso = the flat metal shoulder between the grip and the blade

See my post #30 on this thread.

There will always be a difference of opinion in all aspects of TR collecting, that is what keeps it interesting ..

Hope this helps ..

Mike
mike, if a thread has been opened to talk about an item, real or not, then i belive every ones opinions for or against would be valid, thats one of the purposes of this site , to help fellow members. PM 's are as gary stated valid for the recipient but not for the community ,shouldn't your opinion should be posted openly for the Hj forum community? i myself would be greatfull for your opinions. cheers pete.:001_cool:

Hi Pete,

In my post #46, I told everybody what was said in my PM to Thor62.

*****Here is the actual PM I sent to Thor62:

Hello Thor,

Click the link and see a known fake DLV knife with the exact same marking on the scabbard throat as is on the two Slovakian HJ knives,
http://www.xxxxxx.com/pics/dlv-33d.jpg Admin Edit: the link was dead so I amended the site name.

I do not know for sure if the two Slovakian HJ knives are good or bad, you will have to decide for yourself.

Also, go read my previous posts again..

All the best ..

Mike W

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

*****Here is Thor62's response:

hello i look your link but i can't see where is it mark COPY i have only pics, no details, no prices.....
the slovakian knives for me is good and very rare
i ask in other forum for daggers and i look
thanks
karl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All I can to is present the facts. The owners of the Slovakian HJ knives will have to make their own decisions about authenticity.

Opinions are one thing - facts are another ..

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I now understand your take on the DLV markings as they apply to the Slovakian knives.

Thanks Garry ..

Pete, I could give my opinion of the two Slovakian HJ daggers here, but I don't think it would be a popular opinion. My opinion is based completely on the information I discovered and from various experts I have contacted.

The link I provided above shows a KNOWN FAKE DLV knife with the curious "winged" stamping on the scabbard throat.

This KNOWN FAKE stamping looks way too much like the stampings on the ricassos of the two Slovakian HJ knives.

Perhaps the "winged" stampings on the ricassos of the Slovakian HJ knives are authentic and the "winged" stamping on the fake DLV was copied from them.

Nobody really knows for sure..

Mike

The research Mike has undertaken on the stamp certainly appears to conclude that the wing and wheel mark is questionable, as it appears on another known fake item, as provided by him in the link above. Another authority has also advised that it would be in-correct for the German motto to be applied on these HJ knives. Like Sweez, I had always thought these to be correct but based on this research, perhaps they are not.

Regards

Russ

as asteted earlier in the thread there are far to many grey areas to convince mt o go get one of these daggers

Sad to say, Karl hasn't received very good reviews on his Slovakian HJ knife over on GDC. Sorry Karl, I hope you don't have allot of money invested in the knife. We have all been down that ugly road ..

Experts always say, if you are going to spend money collecting TR items, first invest in reference books and arm yourself with knowledge. Karl's case is an exception because there was no reference material on these Slovakian HJ knives, other than the one mentioned on GDC where Kurt Glemser has the knife on pages 204 and 205 of his series in volume 4. I personally have not seen this book, but if the example shown in Kurt's book has the "winged" stamping on the blade ricasso, his book is depicting a now known fake. So there is no way Karl or Mark could have known. I have it from a very solid source that these fakes with the "winged" stamping are being produced in Russia. There is also evidence that political dagger blades (SS) are being produced in the Czech Republic that are almost undetectable and will soon be perfected. Not at all like the Reddick examples. Watch out ..

I guess every dark cloud has a silver lining .. We all learned a valuable lesson here about the fake "winged" stamp. Anything seen with this stamping should be avoided. Also, with the power of the internet, if the item you are researching isn't in a reference book, take clear pictures of it and shoot the pictures to an expert. Every expert that I know has a passion for this stuff and will almost always be glad to help. If they don't have the answer, they usually know people who will. So the bottom line, use every resource you have before you lay your money down.. Watch out for "opinions" .. We ALL have them .. Be selective about who's opinion you take seriously.

**Now we know why the HJ motto, "Blut und Ehre" was on a Slovakian HJ blade.**

Stuart and Paul didn't like these knives from the start. Good call :thumb:

(I'm sure it ain't over) :001_rolleyes:

All the best..

Mike W.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the update Mike. Good to see some resolution on these marks.

Back