Hitler Youth HJ knife by F. Plücker Solingen - first time buying a HJ Knife.

Thanks Received
Hi everyone I just joined the forum, I have been wanting to buy my first HJ knife I believe I found the one I want and have emailed the man who says he will hold it till Monday for me to decide. I noticed there was green on the reverse of the grip around the rivet, he said this was normal where the leather touches. However I was also concerned with the shape of the rivets both are oval shaped not round, he said it was due to it being a early model but I would like your opinions as it's alot of money and its my first Knife and I really want to buy the best I can for my money. No repairs or anything like that. Here it is below.
You don't have permission to view attachments.

I will put a link to the knife below and let you have a look at the back of the rivet for yourselves and the green.

Attachments

The green stuff is verdigris which can cause some damage, but being on the back of a rivet is not really a problem and is often seen on HJ knives at the reverse of the hilt.

The knife is original in an average condition.

Regards

Russ

I thought as much, I am a big coin collector and we just stay away from coins with verdigris as it never gets any better only worse.
There was another knife (EVS Solingen) I looked at it you care to look maybe you can tell me what is rarer or better condition.

Attachments

Verdigris, in german "Grünspan" is a poisened chemical copper compound. Not to be find on iron or zinc. Perhaps used for leather impregnation. Regards: NW

It's all personal choice really but I prefer the Voos due to the better blade condition.

Regards

Russ

Pity the Diamond is blackened alot don't know if you can fix that or not or maybe it just add character, though I do agree the blades much nicer.

It is always difficult when you want to buy your first HJ Knife. You want something nice but some of the prices can be horrendous! I was lucky because a great guy on this forum sold me a cracking Eickhorn at around the price you are looking at for these two examples. My honest opinion is that I have seen better than these for this sort of price! I think everyone wants a motto on the blade for their first so you are looking for an early or a transitional knife. I rate Paul Hogle at Lakesidetrader very highly and he is more honest than most. Nothing great in your price range on his website at the moment but his stock changes on a daily basis. There is a lovely looker up for auction by Ratisbons (closes on Sunday) but people tend to pay silly money and get carried away with an auction. Whatever you decide, good luck. It is a great hobby but very addictive! Cheers, Nick

It is always difficult when you want to buy your first HJ Knife. You want something nice but some of the prices can be horrendous! I was lucky because a great guy on this forum sold me a cracking Eickhorn at around the price you are looking at for these two examples. My honest opinion is that I have seen better than these for this sort of price! I think everyone wants a motto on the blade for their first so you are looking for an early or a transitional knife. I rate Paul Hogle at Lakesidetrader very highly and he is more honest than most. Nothing great in your price range on his website at the moment but his stock changes on a daily basis. There is a lovely looker up for auction by Ratisbons (closes on Sunday) but people tend to pay silly money and get carried away with an auction. Whatever you decide, good luck. It is a great hobby but very addictive! Cheers, Nick

You got it in one, early or transitional because I wanted the moto on the first one I got. The biggest problem I have had is actually finding places that's sell them, atm America seems to have alot more at better quality. Very little british places have them! I watched the video on youtue by ddsdaggers and laksidetrader and found them very helpful but as you said lakeside didn't have much atm in terms of what I wanted and price. i really only am settling for the others as they are the best I can find at my price this very moment. I am an increibdly picky person who always tried to get te best they can with the money I have. At this price I seem to have to pick a knife that always has something not quite perfect, wether it be the motto worn, spotting, chipped or worn chrome platting, or in the case above a aged looking diamond darkening underneath.

I guess it is all about limiting your expectations. My own priorities in order were, genuine original piece, preferably unsharpened blade, reasonable motto and good HJ diamond.
Simply, genuine and looks OK. You can see one of mine, a Tiger maker marked. Paid $695.00 about a year ago from Lakeside. The pictures of the blade do not really do it justice but I think it compares more than favourably to the two you are looking at. I know it is not the advice you really want to hear but better to wait a while for a nice example. I searched for over 6 months and then struck lucky thanks to Jan. Too another 6 months before I purchased the Tiger. Nick

I guess it is all about limiting your expectations. My own priorities in order were, genuine original piece, preferably unsharpened blade, reasonable motto and good HJ diamond.
Simply, genuine and looks OK. You can see one of mine on the Blades section of this forum, I think on page 3, a Tiger maker marked. Paid $695.00 about a year ago from Lakeside. The pictures of the blade do not really do it justice but I think it compares more than favourably to the two you are looking at. I know it is not the advice you really want to hear but better to wait a while for a nice example. I searched for over 6 months and then struck lucky thanks to Jan. Too another 6 months before I purchased the Tiger. Nick

Yea the more of these you look at online the more you move your budget higher and expect higher its a vicious circle haha. I agree though my priorities would be similar if not exactly the same, I seem to be fussy with scabbard paint though. Though most are likely repainted. The blued ones are lovely. I think as you said I would be best to hold off and keep looking and maybe saving as well!

I took a good look at your Tiger have to say it's beautiful! Let me know if you ever plan to sell it, not even joking :thumb:

Back