Hitler Youth knife RZM 39 Franz Steinhoff - strange Transitional rzm mark

Thanks Received
Hi all...i have some concerns about this knife that appears to belong to the transitional period with faint motto. The maker mark is Franz Steinhoff and the blade shows the RZM symbol and 39 (the rzm code of the maker) without the M/7.
Is it normal??
many thanks

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

other pics

Attachments

Hey Luca

That's an un-usual one for sure!

I don't have access to any of my stuff at the moment because we are building a new home and everything is in storage.

But, I don't recall seeing something like this before, however, I haven't seen everything!

It certainly looks 'wrong', and the numbers seem very crisp and modern.

In saying that, it would be hard to understand why someone would 'add' something like that.

I will see what I can find on this maker with the limited resources I have at the moment.

Thanks for posting it - by the way, is the motto etched? It is hard to tell.

Regards

Russ

Ok, have found that another one of these has been observed before and was described as a transitional dated 1939, with a large 'RZ' but no 'M', and large '39'. Presumably the large '39' relates to the maker and not the year.

I will look further when I have access to my records.

Regards

Russ

Russell...do you have a picture or link of the other one you saw?? many thanks again :)

Sorry Luca, I don't have either. The description was from a list of known makers and marks, unfortunately there were no photos.

I would think that your knife is very scarce in terms of maker, but can't verify that at the moment.

Regards

Russ

This one is for sale on the Internet, there are no explanation about the marking, but I think it will be of interest for you, here is the test and pic:

"Has marking "39" on the blade. The RZM markings are not visible. Untouched as found in the barn in Austria, near the Linz town."

Michael :denmark

Attachments

This one is for sale on the Internet, there are no explanation about the marking, but I think it will be of interest for you, here is the test and pic:

"Has marking "39" on the blade. The RZM markings are not visible. Untouched as found in the barn in Austria, near the Linz town."

Michael :denmark

Hi Michael

A marking such as this one on its own is usually indicative of the year of manufacture, quite common from various Companies.

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ

"A marking such as this one on its own is usually indicative of the year of manufacture, quite common from various Companies."

I know, but I have never seen the production year stand alone without producer mark, so my guess is that it someway is the producer. I can at present not recall having seen a HJ knife without producer mark/RZM-mark, but I have heard of them, so they must not be common.

Michel :denmark

Hi Michael

The pic you have shown with the 39 on the Ricasso is the year of manufacture. There are usually no other markings on the ricasso, they are on the blade itself.

Here is an example, courtesy of DDs Daggers.

Regards

Russ

Attachments

Regarding the knife initially posted by Luca, the 39 is clearly the RZM manufacturer number, not the date, as 39 is the RZM number assigned to the maker shown on the blade.

Also, it is unlikely to be the year because the blade also has a motto. It's hard to tell if the motto is etched or not, hopefully Luca will let us know. Although it looks wrong, I believe it is most likely to be original, unusual, and probably quite scarce - just my opinion.

Regards

Russ

Back