Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Please login to view user info
    I know this is a old post. are these real I always thought they were a fantasy peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I know this is a old post. are these real I always thought they were a fantasy peace.
    To be on the safe side , keep your money and invest in an undesputable HJ knife in nice condition .

As the seller now says that the diamond does not wiggle and might have been glued in and also goes down the price this started to look more suspicious to me and I will leave it where it is. Thank you all for your precious help!

Sorry to say most of those don't turn out good. youthman

Quote Originally Posted by youthman View Post
    Sorry to say most of those don't turn out good. youthman
    Correct, Tears Before Bed Time are guaranteed!

I have one in my collection that I purchased from one of the large US dealers. I immediately went to my dentist and he did an x-ray for me of the grip. When developed it immediately showed that the HJ diamond was held in place by 2 long folded over prongs and that it could only have been done when originally put together. Whenever I sell this piece the x-ray will go with it as unmistakable proof of its authenticity. Unless you can get it x-rayed there is no way to tell and I would make it a condition of sale or your money back!

Quote Originally Posted by dougfield View Post
    I have one in my collection that I purchased from one of the large US dealers. I immediately went to my dentist and he did an x-ray for me of the grip. When developed it immediately showed that the HJ diamond was held in place by 2 long folded over prongs and that it could only have been done when originally put together. Whenever I sell this piece the x-ray will go with it as unmistakable proof of its authenticity. Unless you can get it x-rayed there is no way to tell and I would make it a condition of sale or your money back!
    then please show us your bajo then at least?

assumptions assumptions assumptions...

Quote Originally Posted by dougfield View Post
    It is always amazing what straws people will cling to when really wanting their items to be real.
    Allow me to correct your "solid evidence" somewhat.
    All this proves, if you are in fact telling the truth (without images we only have your post) is that the HJ diamond and handles were riveted to the bayo at the same time, and not a humped up job of simply carving out a diamond shape and gluing a badge into that space.

Ring-Ring! Wake-Up Call......Now what about the thousands of post war HJ knives? they also have the diamond correctly attached to the handles? Or are you of the opinion that only pre-war manufacturers knew how to rivet the handles on? and that every post war made HJ knife has the diamond glued in? Because that is what you are saying with your Xray-proof above.

Sir, your: unmistakable proof of its authenticity, is b####cks, plain and simple!
    So your next step, claiming, that usless you get a Xray of the handle, there is no way to be sure, is founded on , not a weak argument, but a brainless assumption, that is neither relevant, nor has any place in any sort of "authentication" whatsoever.

Give me two rivets, and i can drill out the old ones, replace the period red HJ diamond with a fake green one, and rivet the handles back together, and YOU WILL NEVER KNOW! Do you not think that people like Wittmann and C°, who offer restoration of daggers and knives, have been doing exactly this for the past 45 years?

it could only have been done when originally put together
    YES, but WHEN was it "originally put together"? 1943, or 1973?
    Last edited by Jo Rivett; 22nd July 2013 at 09:38 AM.

I have to agree with Jo's comments above.

I too have x-rayed several HJ knives to demonstrate the 'original method of attachment', of HJ diamonds. Carrying out this task only serves to show the presence of prongs or, the lack of them, in determining how a diamond is attached to a particular knife or in this case, bayonet. I have found this useful in determining a correct method of attachment for knives that have diamonds that don't have any movement, but demonstrate all the other correct attributes one expects to see on original knives.

That is the limit of proof that x-rays can provide - full stop.

As Jo has put it above, when the diamond was placed in the grip, and the grip-plates are-applied to the hilt, is anyones guess!

There are numerous photos in Johnson's books of crateloads of dagger parts retrieved by him from various Solingen manufacturers.

All these parts end up in daggers, knives, or sold as replacements.

Personally, I wouldn't trust bayonets with HJ diamonds attached in the correct method or otherwise - it is easy to do, so therefore offers no real evidence that the piece is a legitimate edged weapon made in the TR period.

Stick to the basic known examples and you will more likely sleep easier!

Regards

Russ

Gentlemen, thanks for the correction and further explanation to my post. As requested, I will try to get pictures posted of my HJ bayonet by the end of the week.

Doug

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast