HJ Bayonet

I know this is a old post. are these real I always thought they were a fantasy peace.

As the seller now says that the diamond does not wiggle and might have been glued in and also goes down the price this started to look more suspicious to me and I will leave it where it is. Thank you all for your precious help!

I have one in my collection that I purchased from one of the large US dealers. I immediately went to my dentist and he did an x-ray for me of the grip. When developed it immediately showed that the HJ diamond was held in place by 2 long folded over prongs and that it could only have been done when originally put together. Whenever I sell this piece the x-ray will go with it as unmistakable proof of its authenticity. Unless you can get it x-rayed there is no way to tell and I would make it a condition of sale or your money back!

I have one in my collection that I purchased from one of the large US dealers. I immediately went to my dentist and he did an x-ray for me of the grip. When developed it immediately showed that the HJ diamond was held in place by 2 long folded over prongs and that it could only have been done when originally put together. Whenever I sell this piece the x-ray will go with it as unmistakable proof of its authenticity. Unless you can get it x-rayed there is no way to tell and I would make it a condition of sale or your money back!

then please show us your bajo then at least?

assumptions assumptions assumptions...

It is always amazing what straws people will cling to when really wanting their items to be real.
Allow me to correct your "solid evidence" somewhat.
All this proves, if you are in fact telling the truth (without images we only have your post) is that the HJ diamond and handles were riveted to the bayo at the same time, and not a humped up job of simply carving out a diamond shape and gluing a badge into that space.

Ring-Ring! Wake-Up Call......Now what about the thousands of post war HJ knives? they also have the diamond correctly attached to the handles? Or are you of the opinion that only pre-war manufacturers knew how to rivet the handles on? and that every post war made HJ knife has the diamond glued in? Because that is what you are saying with your Xray-proof above.

Sir, your: unmistakable proof of its authenticity, is b####cks, plain and simple!
So your next step, claiming, that usless you get a Xray of the handle, there is no way to be sure, is founded on , not a weak argument, but a brainless assumption, that is neither relevant, nor has any place in any sort of "authentication" whatsoever.

Give me two rivets, and i can drill out the old ones, replace the period red HJ diamond with a fake green one, and rivet the handles back together, and YOU WILL NEVER KNOW! Do you not think that people like Wittmann and C°, who offer restoration of daggers and knives, have been doing exactly this for the past 45 years?

it could only have been done when originally put together
YES, but WHEN was it "originally put together"? 1943, or 1973?:swiss

Last edited:
I have to agree with Jo's comments above.

I too have x-rayed several HJ knives to demonstrate the 'original method of attachment', of HJ diamonds. Carrying out this task only serves to show the presence of prongs or, the lack of them, in determining how a diamond is attached to a particular knife or in this case, bayonet. I have found this useful in determining a correct method of attachment for knives that have diamonds that don't have any movement, but demonstrate all the other correct attributes one expects to see on original knives.

That is the limit of proof that x-rays can provide - full stop.

As Jo has put it above, when the diamond was placed in the grip, and the grip-plates are-applied to the hilt, is anyones guess!

There are numerous photos in Johnson's books of crateloads of dagger parts retrieved by him from various Solingen manufacturers.

All these parts end up in daggers, knives, or sold as replacements.

Personally, I wouldn't trust bayonets with HJ diamonds attached in the correct method or otherwise - it is easy to do, so therefore offers no real evidence that the piece is a legitimate edged weapon made in the TR period.

Stick to the basic known examples and you will more likely sleep easier!

Regards

Russ

HJ Bayonet pics

then please show us your bajo then at least?

Sorry for the delay. Here some pics of my so called HJ Bayonet. Let me know if you could use any better closeups of any part or a pic of the x-ray. For clarification of one of the pics I was trying to show the notch in one end of the lower crossguard(I presume to accomodate a rifle barrel).

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thanks for the pics. Quite looks the same like the one I got offered. How did you prove that it is not a fake? Just by the diamond? Or do you have any literature about these items?

Thanks for the pics. Quite looks the same like the one I got offered. How did you prove that it is not a fake? Just by the diamond? Or do you have any literature about these items?

Yes, it looks a lot like your pics. I have not proved it is not a fake and am hoping others on the forum can offer help. I had the grip x-rayed and thought that would offer definitive proof and it showed that the correct diamond with long fold over prongs was present. But as was pointed out in an earlier thread if the entire grip was replaced the x-raying proves nothing. Are the grips replaced and are the rivets correct, I don't know! With the example you were offered, mine, and one other I have seen that now maker 3 different makers, so that seems a little odd for what I would expect to be a limited production.

Back