HJ dagger C & R Linder RZM 7/15 w/o motto

Thanks Received
I just recently obtained this knife from an auction. It does not have the motto and the diamond looks a bit beat up and does not wiggle. Suspect it may be be post-war applied. Does the diamond match the type of knife? Would be grateful for any opinions or information regarding this knife. Thanks.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

it seems to me you've obtained a late transitional HJ knife wich has been pimped a "bit".
Why late transitional, because of the double marking ; name of the manufacturer accompanied by the RZM marking, but without the presence of the motto. As of late '36 the motto and manufactures marking was no longer permitted and only the RZM marking was allowed. Since a lott of firms still had some stock of allready manufacterd blades a period of transition ('36-'38) was allowed with the double marking and sometimes the motto present on the blade as a result.
This besides the few exceptions that exist as for example "eickhorn", transitional up to '41.
From what I can see the blade is period made but has been IMO been cleaned, as the pommel. Needless to say that normally this is not done as this will take away the grinding from the blade. The rear side from the blade looks not to be cleaned as markings of fingers are still present (sweatmarks can/will leave traces on the blade, therefore handling blades should be done with gloves). The fact that the diamond does not wiggle could mean that it has been applied later in an attempt to restore the knife.

There are two methods to do this; the guy who works a bit thoroughly will take of the bakelite handgrippes and put an other diamond (preferably one that is intact)wich is here not the case, in place and refits the bakelite pieces. this would definetely be visible on the rivets (new, clean, bright). Yours seem to be untoughed (I'm only assuming this from what I can see from the picture, you need to take a closer look in real circumstances to be really sure about this)
the other way to replace the diamond is the easiest way, is just to find one, even the one for caps are used for this, and to glue it into place. Once fixed, it is evident that it will not wiggle.

That is why I always inform about the status of the inlay. On can judge the condition of a knife from looking to pictures, but this is something you need to ask. From my personal experience, I've got until now 17 transitionals with an 18th on the way, that the diamond inlay must have a small movement. The way it is fixed indeed permits it over a timeframe of several years to come loose a bitt and starts to wiggle. So yes for me this could be a criteria to yes or no to buy it, that is
If the knife looks good and respond positively to all the criteria to be accepted as a genuine period made knife, the diamond inlay should definitely be wiggling.

So I personally should not have bought it.
But that is my personal feeling.
Mike
:belgium

Thanks for the informative response! It made the knife a bit more interesting. I paid about $80 for it and the scabbard.

Hi,

it seems to me you've obtained a late transitional HJ knife wich has been pimped a "bit".
Why late transitional, because of the double marking ; name of the manufacturer accompanied by the RZM marking, but without the presence of the motto. As of late '36 the motto and manufactures marking was no longer permitted and only the RZM marking was allowed. Since a lott of firms still had some stock of allready manufacterd blades a period of transition ('36-'38) was allowed with the double marking and sometimes the motto present on the blade as a result.
This besides the few exceptions that exist as for example "eickhorn", transitional up to '41.
From what I can see the blade is period made but has been IMO been cleaned, as the pommel. Needless to say that normally this is not done as this will take away the grinding from the blade. The rear side from the blade looks not to be cleaned as markings of fingers are still present (sweatmarks can/will leave traces on the blade, therefore handling blades should be done with gloves). The fact that the diamond does not wiggle could mean that it has been applied later in an attempt to restore the knife.

There are two methods to do this; the guy who works a bit thoroughly will take of the bakelite handgrippes and put an other diamond (preferably one that is intact)wich is here not the case, in place and refits the bakelite pieces. this would definetely be visible on the rivets (new, clean, bright). Yours seem to be untoughed (I'm only assuming this from what I can see from the picture, you need to take a closer look in real circumstances to be really sure about this)
the other way to replace the diamond is the easiest way, is just to find one, even the one for caps are used for this, and to glue it into place. Once fixed, it is evident that it will not wiggle.

That is why I always inform about the status of the inlay. On can judge the condition of a knife from looking to pictures, but this is something you need to ask. From my personal experience, I've got until now 17 transitionals with an 18th on the way, that the diamond inlay must have a small movement. The way it is fixed indeed permits it over a timeframe of several years to come loose a bitt and starts to wiggle. So yes for me this could be a criteria to yes or no to buy it, that is
If the knife looks good and respond positively to all the criteria to be accepted as a genuine period made knife, the diamond inlay should definitely be wiggling.

So I personally should not have bought it.
But that is my personal feeling.
Mike
:belgium

Just a quick correction Mike: the "Blut und Ehre" motto was discontinued in 1938.

Back