The HJ knife diamond - should it wiggle or not?

Pictures of a broken grip with prongs clearly visible

steve

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thanks for adding those pics Steve - it is good to have a record of the correct type of pin used on the HJ diamonds.

Regards

Russ

More diamond pics

Attachments

Guys i have many hj knifes in my collection from early to late war types & a good few have no "wiggle" especially on the early hjs with small daimonds because they are a very good tight fit into the griplate insert with no room to wiggle, if it does not wiggle just have a closer look around the daimond edges for traces of glue!!!, if no glue is present if should be totally fine, Another thing to remember is the griplates are not only held by the rivits there is a small amount of epoxy glue to hold them tight into place along with the rivits & sometimes the glue when the hj knife is being manufactured can run onto the daimond prongs at the back of the griplate therefore it holds the daimond tight & stops it from moving when it goes hard & sets, just a few points i,d like you all to know:001_smile:
Regards Scott.

Last edited:
Good info scott
I never knew that the grip plates were also epoxy glued when they were manufactured , i always thought it was just the rivets that held the plates ,

steve

Good info scott
I never knew that the grip plates were also epoxy glued when they were manufactured , i always thought it was just the rivets that held the plates ,

steve

Steve if you look at the griplate pix you posted from DD Harris you can see traces of this epoxy glue, i noticed it from buying hj knifes with broken/cracked griplates.
Regards Scott.

Last edited:
If it looks good and the diamond doesn't wiggle, it makes no difference to me at all. It amazes me that this has been taken for a fact by so many people. In a thread i started on my own knife i even stated that "the diamond wiggles like some people like".

Just to add a possible reason behind a dealers' outrageous comment that they should all wiggle & are on springs:

I took a stall at a militaria fair a few months ago to sell off some surplus items, never done one before or since.
A guy was worried about the early & salty HJ i had with practically no wiggle. He asked if he could show it to some other dealers to get their opinion, which was no problem with me.

Later on a collector i know told me what happened. Two dealers (one who i have spent decent money with & expected better of) told him it was too salty & maybe even dubious with the non wiggle diamond.
Then, suprise suprise, they both tried to sell him one of their HJ's!

Therefore it could just be a dealer trying to keep his customers spending with him rather than anybody else.

The other option is that he's a complete idiot!

Back