HJ knife M7/2 1937 - original or fake?

Thanks Received
Hi,

I need your urgent help. What do you think about that knife. Its offered at an auction just now. I`m interested but very unsure. Thanks for your replies: NW

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Last edited:
The scabbard is a modern copy as it has that characteristic lip at the mouth. The M7/2 Voos is heavily faked as far as I know so not looking good. I'm not a "knife" person though so hopefully you'll get more opinions.

Hi Northwind,
I would also stay away from this knife.
This is a copy.
Scabbard is a fake, detectable from far as was already stated above by Garry, the lips at the opening is not to be found on originals.
The outlines of the diamond inlay are parallell to the lines in the black bakelite handgrips, wich is by originals NEVER the case.
I know there are sometimes exceptions and not everybody believes in it, but with age these inlays tend to loosen up a bit (because of the way, how they were fixed in the bakelite handgrips, two prongs on the backside of the diamond are passed throw a hole and folded open). So in time these tend to wiggle a bit when pressure is applied on one of the corners.
Here, the inlay is tight fixed, never a good sign IMO.
Furthermore the RZM marking does not seem to be aplied by etching.

wizardelf
:belgium

Hi wizardelf,

a detailed report about to estimate a original HJ knife. I learned a lot and save my money. Thanks to you too: NW

I've learned to simply stay away from pieces where parts are post war since in my experience (with any dagger or knife) if one part is fake or even replacement, chances are other parts are as well. Simply not worth the risk in my opinion.

This is the most common reproduction seen. No need to assess the diamond, if you ever see a ricasso marked on the obverse with the exact same markings as this, it is a reproduction. The configuration and placement of RZM M7/2 1937 markings on an original knife are completely different to this junk.

Also, these knives are often seen with original scabbards, original diamonds, in new, and aged condition - there are many of them out there. Glad to see you were able to give this one a miss!

Regards

Russ

Back