HJ knife question about the diamond in the handle

Thanks Received
Hello all,

If this question has already been asked - I'm sorry

Do 'ALL' HJ knife diamonds float in the handle or did some makers make the diamond fixed? Or in later years of the war the diamonds floated and some did not?

thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Almost all diamond inlay's tend to float.
Some a bitt more than others, sometimes you need to apply some light pressure in one of the corners to make it move.
Not one manufacturer fixed them so they would not move.

The diamond inlay has on his back two pins wich are inserted throw the holes of the bakelite handle, obverse side, and then folded back. So at the beginning, just after assembly they would be very tight held in place, but as time passes by, the folding back loosens a bitt with as a result the wiggling of the diamond inlay.

When you encounter a knife these days with a diamond inlay wich is firmly held into place is IMO a glued one ore maybe a newly assembled knife. Sometimes dealers get differentoriginal parts wich on their own are still good and assemble it into a new knife OR have upgraded a battered knife with new bakelite handles, the diamond and rivets. Always look then at the overall appearance of the knife is my advice at that moment.

Hope this clarifys it a bitt,
wizardelf
:belgium

thanks for the great info - I just got this knife a the diamond is tight - the knife has hardly any use and I really like the cross graining on the blade!.

thanks again
mike k.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I got a spare gripdiamond, and have taken some pics to illustrate how it looks on the backside. When you se that, it makes sence, that the diamond can "wriggle".

Michael :denmark

Attachments

Back