HJ knife RZM M7/13 and axe for opinions

Thanks Received
This first item is from a friend's collection. Most of his items have good provenance, but this one is difficult. The inlay is pristine, but the blade is well-scuffed and the fittings are rather dark.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

This second item is not directly HJ, and is post-War, but I'm told there are HJ versions available. It's a well made little tool, but a bit light even for small wire stakes. It's in my collection.

Attachments

Hello Michael, Looks to be a good, late knife by Schuttelhofer.

The HJ version of that axe can be seen here. It crops up on dealer/auction sites every now and again and it beggars belief that anyone can seriously offer these as authentic. They are fantasy items which must be the result of some kind of practical joke..

Interesting. That appears to be some sort of casting with a badly plated coating. It's not the same design, either. Fortunately, I paid a lot less than $1499, though the gentleman insisted he wouldn't go below $75 and I offered $40. Mine's a forging and reasonably effective at cutting and pulling. I wouldn't try to cut anything more than wooden tent stakes with it, however. The only information he had was that "Hitler Youth versions sell for more."

As far as the knife, Schuttelhofer was the maker I'd deduced from the mark. It seemed a bit used but complete, though I had someone insist it was a post war fake and wanted educated opinions.

Thanks very much.

The knife is certainly not a fake, it is a later made piece with a zinc hilt. The diamond appears to be a small one often seen in early manufactured knives but they can also be seen in later pieces such as this one.

Zinc based hilts often lose their plating which makes these look different to what you would expect compared to some of the later RZM marked knives with steel hilts.

The original scabbard has been repainted and I believe it has a postwar reproduction HJ strap added to it.

Regards

Russ

The blade has been roughly sharpened as you can see by the change to the original shape. I can see scratch marks on the blade so it could have been scoured by something also, maybe to remove dark staining.

Regards

Russ

The HJ axe is in a list on the forum with the HJ diving knife, the HJ forest knife, the HJ fleecing knife and the HJ corkscrew :) I can't find that post maybe someone can.

The HJ axe is in a list on the forum with the HJ diving knife, the HJ forest knife, the HJ fleecing knife and the HJ corkscrew :) I can't find that post maybe someone can.

Someone already linked. My axe doesn't look like those axes, and isn't HJ marked. :)

I think I can see the Othello maker mark on the axe which is a commercial brand from Anton Wingen Jr.

Regards

Russ

Back