HJ knives with Plastic Hangers

Thanks Received
Not something you see everyday, but period none the less. Late war, likely due to the usual material shortages. These HJ knife hangers are quite fragile today so careful with the snaps if you have one!

Anyone else own one? As far as I am aware never marked with any maker stamps

Mine is a 1941 M7/18 Rich. ABR. Herder. Solingen

(pics to follow)

even with correct 'stocko' snap

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

hilt shows alot more ware than normal, due to plastic removing the finish, good indication to me to believe these two have always been together

Attachments

Mike , did they also make late war knife hangers out of compessed cardboard, im sure i read it somewhere ,

Cheers steve ,

that came up in passing a few weeks ago, i'm not 100% sure, never seen one as far as i can remember, iam sure it was mentioned the one in conversation was a dud... i'll try and find out

I was lucky with this plastic fantastic, hj number 3, the only thing to come via a wanted advert on a forum i used to frequent, not militaria related. He wanted £45 i thought that was abit much... :drool:

Steve yes mate they did come with compressed cardboard hangers i just sold on a few weeks back, the cardboard hangers are very thick & sturdy this was the first ever one i came across, maybe should have kept it but i needed cash for a nice SA dagger i wanted fast:D heres some pix of the knife & scabbard with the pressed cardboard hanger.
Cheers Scott.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Scott
thanks for confirming that , i wasnt sure if i had just dreamed it :001_huh: it looks hard to distinguish from the leather ones, no doubt it wasnt as flexible ,

hows the SA dagger collecting going , good i hope .

all the best steve

Hi Scott
thanks for confirming that , i wasnt sure if i had just dreamed it :001_huh: it looks hard to distinguish from the leather ones, no doubt it wasnt as flexible ,

hows the SA dagger collecting going , good i hope .

all the best steve

Steve when you see a pressed paper hanger in hand you can tell the differance quite easily from a leather one as the scabbard hanger is made up with about 25-30 layers of paper & very stiff & sturdy with a fake leather look to the outside finish, Ive got 9 real nice SAs with 3 peice marching hangers & a nice NSKK dagger with its origional black hanger & belt loop:cool:, yes mike the devil is over here too:lol:
Cheers Scott.

M7/66 Eickhorn 1942

Hi Mike I have already posted this dagger on your 1940-42 request post. but here goes again:

Ex Adrian Foreman 1986 for 60 Quid. Same markings as dagger in Ron Weinand's book NPEA Daggers page 133. was called mint , pretty close spot on. I have never closed the stud , just a bit risky

Attachments

Not something you see everyday, but period none the less.

Would anyone have any Proof that plastic was used? It is stated here that they are "Period none the less" so i am guessing there is proof?

there is definite proof that these plastic ones were produced after the war, and offered for $5,99.- each. (see this post, from this thread), note the groves and extra rivet.)
Now who has definite proof that they were also issued/for sale pre-1945 :thumb:

Last edited:
Would anyone have any Proof that plastic was used? It is stated here that they are "Period none the less" so i am guessing there is proof?

I have definite proof that these plastic ones were produced after the war, and offered for $5,99.- each. (see this post, from this thread), note the groves and extra rivet.)
Now who has definite proof that they were also issued/for sale pre-1945 :thumb:

Attachments

I cannot see how the sheath in the advert can be said to have a plastic strap. The advert says steel and LEATHER.I have a recent purchase from our good friend Mr. Wittman that shows all the characteristics of the one in the advert in regards to rivet position and the tooling lines on the leather, it also bears a RZM label attached. There are tooling lines on the press stud strap now rather faint.I am very happy with my purchase as I am with the dagger with the plastic strap from Adrian Foreman back in 1986. Also my plastic strap does not have the second rivet.In general I fail to see the difference between a dagger assembled one minute before the surrender and one assembled from the same parts one minute after the surrender. Comments ?

Attachments

I cannot see how the sheath in the advert can be said to have a plastic strap.
Its pretty good isnt it? 50 years on and that will blend in nicely now. I do agree with you about the immediate after war production of certain items, which in all reality it would not be possible to tell the difference.. BUt that advert is from the late 1950s, 15 years after the end, and it was mass produced. The problem is that we all agree that this went on, across the board, but we dont have thousands of examples of these copy knives.. the only fakes you see on forums are those that were made not that long ago. So what has happened to the tens of thousands of these items them? You know the answer.

Back to the plastic, is there any period mention of this at all? and especially pertaining to other items.. what i mean is that if the Nazis suddenly had to save leather, even such a small strip of leather like this, and substitute it for Kautschuk (natural rubber) then this practice, or sudden need, would be reflected on other items as well that used bigger parts of the cow skin... maybe this was the birth of the Gummistiefel ? Or was the Kautschuk a substitute because the leather strips were breaking in battle?

Being a HJ lad late into the war was a bummer, poxy Zinc badges and awards, plastic dagger parts..... it no wonder the Germans lost the war really. :lol:

Back