Just picked up this Lauterjung transitional HJ knife and scabbard.

Thanks Received
You don't have permission to view attachments.

I know the knife is a little rough, but it's the first piece of my collection and I'm proud to own it. I was curious if anyone else has a blade from this same transitional era and could post pictures for me to compare the knives? I was also curious if anyone had any extra info that might be good for me to know. I know the knife was made by H&F Lauterjung, who still exists today, I also spotted the "Blood and Honor!" on the blade and the RZM stamp. I'm new to this hobby, so anything I should know I'm happy to hear.

Cheers!

Attachments

Hi,

Welcome to this forum and congrats on your decision to collect HJ transitional knives.

Oh boy, this knife has indeed suffered a lot.:Cry:
Really a shame, but what is to be expected of boys playing with their knife and what to think about the time after the war, how was it preserved and has it been used ever since?
I'm glad to hear you' re OK with it. :001_cool:
Along side other things I collect transitionals HJ knives,(I invite you to visit my trans HJ projekt) but up untill now I don't have this maker. I try to find knives wich are still in a present decent presentable state. This means you pay a 'bitt' more but my experience is that the value of these are still rising, so in my opinion it is worth to try to get knives wich are in a better condition as yours.
Nice to see that the diamond inlay, as far as I can see looks still great with no or little damage to the enamel?
For a knife that has suffered such a beating, surprising to see this especially when you notice that the gripplates are IMO original to the knife. Often one notices that in an attempt to highten up the value, knives are re-estated in a better condition as they were before with genuine recuperated parts from other knives. This is here not the case.

Value of these knives are determined by the shape of the blade, have they still their original form, have they or not been sharpened, is there a motto present (as you probably know, not all transitionals have a motto on the obverse side of the blade)and is it still very deep etched and darkened, this is also of application to the RZM and the manufacturers logo.

I do not have any specific Info about the maker, but should you have any other questions about transitionals, I 'll try to be of assistance whenever I can.
I'm actually waiting for a new arrival, number 18, a transitional Klaas 1936, hope to have it by the end of this week.
As soon as it is in the house, pics will be posted.

Mike
:belgium

I did find out that the maker is still actively doing business, so that's pretty interesting. I do wish the blade wasn't sharpened so much, but I was very happy to see the enamel on the diamond was in good shape. My blade motto isn't quite as visible as I'd like, but I'm just as happy that's there even at all.

Do you have a place where you knife collection is shown in full? I'd like to see what kinds of variations there are out there as I'm attending a military trade show next month and may very well pick up another blade.

You can see my projekt when you visit my page (ALBUMS). I m not sure if that is satisfactory for you? As a way of presenting them I show the side with the manufacturers logo and RZM. I just presented a few in my frames with the motto s visible. But these are in mint or near mint condition and or have a specific feature, like a company tag and or even personalized engravings.
just have a look if you wish.
Mike

Yep, this is a real rough one alright, but a good representative example of how these knives were used during the period.

Much is made of so called 'minty' examples, which do command the best prices, however, no HJ knife collection is complete without some of these 'been there, done that' examples! I am a fan of both!

Regards

Russ

Yep, this is a real rough one alright, but a good representative example of how these knives were used during the period.

Much is made of so called 'minty' examples, which do command the best prices, however, no HJ knife collection is complete without some of these 'been there, done that' examples! I am a fan of both!

Regards

Russ,

To some extend I agree. :001_unsure:
If you build a collection around knives you would like to show them in the best preserved way there is. The fact that they were (ab)used by youth makes it all the more difficult to find minty examples, and that is also one of the reasons why the prizes are getting higher and higher.
This is especially the case with the transitionals because of there limited time of production.
But it could in fact not be all to bad to show, if you can get a hold on pictures, wich show how these knives were used and show a used, battered example along with some other HJ items (cloth insignia, tinnie, etc,... wich have all a used condition).
Would be a fine comparison; a frame with used items alongside a frame with the better preserved ones.
You've given me something to think about. :confused1:

Mike
:belgium

Back