M7/36 E&F Hörster HJ knife with solid red enamel diamond insignia

Thanks Received
Well Guys i finally found a genuine untouched, uncleaned example with solid red opaque daimond insignia with good movement "wiggle" with "No Damage" to the griplates or rivets, i bought this example from DD Harris which he purchased from a WW2 US vets son along with german pistol that he brought back from Germany, just the way it left the Factory IMO,

RZM M7/36 E&F Hörster, Solingen.

Regards Mac 66.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

2. Undamaged griplates & rivets.

Attachments

4. IMO these hj knifes with the opaque enamel insignia are very seldom found knifes & a great variant to add to your hj knife collection, i believe in them 100% :scot

Regards Mac 66.

Attachments

If the diamond wiggles, the daggers good, otherwise toss it.:swiss
Ha ha ha ha...

Jo not true many do not wiggle or have movement & are 100%
Yes, it was a joke, the Myth that Wittman has spread around is potty at best. Whether a diamond "wiggles" a bit would depend on a number of things, like construction, usage etc, all influences that could correctly apply to both scenarios, so therefore shouldn't even be used as a talking point at, all - well just not in conjunction with the authenticity of an item, thats just loopy! But you hear these dealers whining on about :
Well if it wiggles thats a good sign, yet if it dont wiggle, that dont mean nothing bad
... so why even say that then? LOL....:pound:

Yes, it was a joke, the Myth that Wittman has spread around is potty at best. Whether a diamond "wiggles" a bit would depend on a number of things, like construction, usage etc, all influences that could correctly apply to both scenarios, so therefore shouldn't even be used as a talking point at, all - well just not in conjunction with the authenticity of an item, thats just loopy! But you hear these dealers whining on about :... so why even say that then? LOL....:pound:

Exactly Mate .

Exactly Mate .
Is the diamond magnetic? lots of these later period badges were made using steel, and messing plated steel. (not just opaque, but translucent too) Take a magnet too it and see what it says..:thumb:

I am hopeful that when Ralf Siegerts HJ reference is released in December that he makes mention of it. Cool find Scott! Regards Larry

I am hopeful that when Ralf Siegerts HJ reference is released in December that he makes mention of it. Cool find Scott! Regards Larry

Thanks Larry, good to know your on my side & believe in the solid red/opaque hj daimonds, Ralfs Book will be interesting but i cant read german text so will have to wait on the english text version to be published.

Regards Mac 66.

I looked thru the 100 HJs I currently have for sale & I have no other solid red diamonds so that makes the solid red a less than 1%er in my unsciencetific survey tonight. I'm thinking the solid red shows up in 1940 & the silver thereafter. Even Though no movement is not an indication that a diamond is bad, movement is invariably an indication that a diamond is good . The strangest diamond I have seen is on a late Eickhorn that looks like its made of paste. I have seen 2. So my message to you all is don't be too quick to judge something as bad because you haven't seen it.

I like it as well Mac. There are fakes of these solid red's, but I believe you will find that the diamond in that knife, when looked at through a loupe, will show some tiny, dark dotted specs, a little like spots of pepper in the red sections. That's the main thing I look for in a solid red diamond of the same colour as yours.
I believe the fake solids are easy to spot, but genuine ones I've seen all have this characteristic.

Regards

Russ

Last edited:

Ralf is a member of this forum, but to my knowledge has not contributed (or even asked) anything here ? Is his book, not also just a German version of what Johnson says? I dont own it, or have read it, but i heard from other Germans when it came out that it offers nother new at all?

Thanks, D.D.H & Russ for your very helpful info on the solid reds, its very much appreciated,

I,m having a hard time of it with Herman/Victorman over on the GDC & WAF at the moment regarding the solid red/opaque daimonds & not getting much support from anybody who knows there genuine & would appreciate any help given as theres only so much i can take & say on the subject, i was also threatened by PM on the GDC by Mod Herman because i spoke about the solid red on another members thread & was only giving my help & opinion but Herman didnt see it that way & deleted my post then i recieved this PM as titled, "Cancel Your account on GDC"

Mac66,

I suppose that the real objective of your latest postings is that we cancel your account here on GDC and you can go crying about GDC on other fora?

That is no problem, it can be arranged.

Herman

This is what i,m up against!!!!!

Regards Mac 66.

Hi Scott, I saw the recent thread on WAF and skimmed through it. I saw one of my knives there, along with several other great examples of the diamonds with the 'peppery' look I tried to convey in words. I don't have the energy to get into it again! I don't post much in the Edged Weapons section there anymore.

You're doing a great job there on the case, but I see Herman is laying into you quite heavily.

I gave up GDC years ago, as did RussN, the most knowledgable person I know regarding HJ knives. He shared a great deal of his collecting experience with the forum, and also directly to me when he started to reduce his contribution level. Herman took over from him, as you may remember.

I've x-rayed many of my knives, including the example shown on the WAF thread, which is correctly pinned.

I think you've provided enough info on the WAF thread to allow people to make up their own minds - most surely in the believers camp.

Keep up the great work!

Regards

Russ

I think you've provided enough info on the WAF thread to allow people to make up their own minds - most surely in the believers camp.
Patience Scott.
I have just seen that my book will be out in Summer next year, and in that, i dont provide my opinion on opaque enamel, i dont provide enough info to "hopefully" sway peoples opinion, i provide rock solid proof of the use of opaque enamel parallel to translucent. All the other "trivialities" pertaining to every other aspect of it are covered as well, so it`s a case of [opaque enamel 1 - disbelievers 0.] Anyone who still disagrees with the use of opaque enamel is left with egg on their face after, and they dont have any legs to stand on either, not even a thin, wooden crutch... not even the thinnest strips of bamboo are afforded to the nay-sayers after this.....

Thanks Russell & Jo for your support & info on this subject,

@ Jo, i,ll wind down the WAF & GDC threads until next summer when your new book is published,

@ Russell, i cant seem to get into your ink "Solid Red Diamonds on Hitler Youth knives: Myth or Reality?"
i get the bulletin page coming up saying i have no permission to access this page???

Can anyone help me access this thread please?

Many Thanks Mac 66.

Back