My first 2 HJ knives: Arthur Evertz, Carl Wüsthof 1941

Thanks Received
Hi Guys... this is my very first thread and I thought that I would start off showing 2 HJ knives that I purchased only last week. The first, a rather beat-up Arthur Evertz that I won on eBay for $90... and then my first 'complete' (as in actually having all its parts!) knife... a 1941 Wüsthof. I really like the knives with a lot of character.. well used and worn (as you can clearly see!) rather than the higher priced, pristine examples... this is probably a romantic notion of mine that they've 'done their duty' rather than be hardly used and over protected. Anyway, I originally thought that I would be satisfied just owning 1 knife but... and I'm sure that you've all been there... I can feel a collection coming on! Such beautiful objects... how can I just stick with one? Well, that's what I keep asking my slightly concerned wife! Anyway, hope you like them.... cheers, Hansi

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

.. and the Wüsthof...

Attachments

very nice this is the start of something big i do hope you have a understanding wife :001_smile:

steve

Thanks guys... yes, luckily my wife is very understanding about the collecting... she does however wonder how I can spend hours drooling over HJ items or enjoy sitting in front of the computer looking at sites like this one!
Yes, I really like the old battered Evertz knife... it looks like it's been through some hard times and has a bit of history to it. When I was growing up in the 50s just about every boy had a sheath knife, and we used to spend hours throwing them into trees or the ground.. just like in those photos of the HJ camping... grips cracked or broke off, blades snapped, etc. but it was always such a good feeling to be wearing your knife. Times were different of course, even aunts and grandmas gave kids knives for birthdays... unfortunately times have changed and so have tastes, which is such a shame as I have always felt that a boy needs a good knife... I can really imagine how proud the HJ felt when they passed their test and were able to strap that knife on... by the way EvilMike, where do I find your collection of knives on the site, I would love to have a look at them? Cheers, Hansi

Back