My first HJ knife - A. Schüttelhöfer

Thanks Received
Dear all,
Let me show you my first HJ knife. It is an early, no-ricasso knife made by Arthur Schüttelhöfer. Solingen-Wald. It is probably the most common marker of HJ knives, but this one has the motto "Blut und Ehere" and the marker mark on the other side of the blade with the "double horses" logo, which makes it not very common. Indeed, in the WAF HJ knife database this type is not inclued, and searching in the Internet I have only found one of these. It has a nice wiggling diamond. Please let me know if you like the knife (or what you don't like). All opiniones highly appreciated.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

hi eliko,.nice early schuttelhoffer,congrats mate.looks like its been well used,as the blade & motto are ground down a little.,which is great.i personally like them a bit used.nice markings on the blade,nice scabbard,.overall a very cool piece.

cheers,
si

Thanks for showing your HJ knife - as you promised - Congrats with this nice original HJ knife, I really like it :clap2:

Michael :denmark

Congratulations gentleman, a really nice early one. Thanks for showing!!

Thanks a lot for your visit and your comments, wingman, mkholst and Antonio! I am glad to know you like my knife. One questiom wingman.. what do you mean when you say that the blade and motto are ground down a little?

Thanks a lot for your visit and your comments, wingman, mkholst and Antonio! I am glad to know you like my knife. One questiom wingman.. what do you mean when you say that the blade and motto are ground down a little?
just used more pretty much,..i probably should not use ground down as the description i should have probably said "worn down",.for example on SA daggers when ernst rohm was killed in the night of the long knives,early 1933 SA daggers with rohm inscriptions on the blade were sent back to the factory & "ground down" thats what that means anyway,.but yeah i meant just used,.which is cool,.

A beautiful knive with a nice blade congrats :thumbup:
All these knives are beautiful the early and the RZM knives,iff in good condition.

Thanks for your comment, janjan. Glad to know you like this knife. I totally agree with you. If in good condition, Hj knives are really nice items. If too damaged, they are not worth collecting.

This really is a beautiful example of a knife that is not often seen.

Not a commonly seen maker mark as opposed to the later RZM marked knives by the same maker.

Despite a little sharpening, it has retained the original blade shape very well.

For your first knife, you've picked a real beauty!

Regards

Russ

Eliko,

I dont agree with you. Everything what a collector collects is worth to be collected. It depends on the collectors view, his aims, his love, his attitude. First class or demaged stain ones. Ones ideal value cannot be compared with money or explained with brightness. I myself respect everyones. So far my comment. Your knife is very good in condition, "nice" is a more individual meaning. Have a nice day. Northwind

I tend to agree with Northwind. Each person has an individual taste or preference to the items they collect. There are often many different influences, some of which Northwind has expressed above. Another key influence can be the budget a collector is limited to. While items in top condition are generally favoured by many, well used items also have a strong appeal to many others. There are no right or wrongs as everyone has their own reasons to collect the pieces they like.

Generally, when it comes to edged weapons, the better the condition, the higher the price they command and they may increase in value more than a well used piece, but that doesn't make it better. It may mean more to one person, but not another.

One of my favourite pieces is a very well used mottoed Halbach, sharpened on both sides and extremely dirty all over which was quite cheap but it has a magical appeal to me, but maybe not to anyone else.

Regards

Russ

Russ, I confirm your words. No one can feel the personal magic, the smell of old leather, the reflecting of a blades inscription, the spirit of the past. Regards, Northwind

Thanks a lot for your comments, Russ. This knife, however, has already left my collection, and am waiting now for another one in its place. I will post it when I receive it, probably next week.

This really is a beautiful example of a knife that is not often seen.

Not a commonly seen maker mark as opposed to the later RZM marked knives by the same maker.

Despite a little sharpening, it has retained the original blade shape very well.

For your first knife, you've picked a real beauty!

Regards

Russ

Northwind and Russ: you are right in your views. Very right. Needless to say, I respect everyone's tastes; I did not mean to offend anyone's preferences. What I really meant is that I would not buy a knife that is too damaged. It is not worth collecting for me. This is simply my personal opinion. I apologize if you or anyone else felt offended. I am here to learn and I really appreciate your views and opinions and, of course, anyone's preferences, as it cannot be otherwise.

Hi Eliko, I don't believe any offence has been taken, and there is no need of an apology at all!

As you have just said above, everyone's taste is different!

We all like different things for different reasons, cheers.

Regards

Russ

Back