New (to me) HJ knife addition...

Thanks Received
Those who know me, know that I am the type of collector that does not, necessarily, seek out the most pristine examples of items. I don't mind if a helmet shows that it was dragged across Europe, or, especially, if an HJ knife saw a camping trip or two.

So, enters in my new addition to my HJ knife collection, which is not plentiful, as I tend to not 'hoard' the same type of items in my collection. But I found this one the other day, the price was right (after some negotiating), and I just like an HJ knife that has been thrown against a tree or two, to see if it can be made to stick, and other things that boys did with their camping knives.

The blade has obviously been ruined (appearently to 'clean' it), so the motto and maker are extremely hard to make out.

But, sometimes I like items that others may pass on, because of condition issues. As long as the authenticity is there, all the items were around Europe's Reich some 70+ years ago. So historically, they are all valuable to me. Besides, the diamond is still in decent condition, and has the ubiquitous 'wiggle'.

Here are some photo's of my 'not so proud and perfect HJ knife.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Very nice - I like knives in this sort of condition also. You can see the motto, nice early blade and diamond.

I believe the maker is possibly Carl Tillmanns Sohne KG, Solingen-Remscheid (Lux), which features a fox. They had a few different maker marks but I think this could be one of them. I don't have my references available to me at present, so perhaps someone could check.

Here are two of the marks used, but it is neither of these ones.

Regards

Russ

Attachments

At first sight I thought that it was a Tiger-trademark like this:

'
but the rear legs do not fit in right, so I will say that Russ have found the right producer of this HJ-knife

I have only a drawing of a CT-trademark, it is the same type that Russ have pics of. As it is a uncommon trademark, it could be difficult to find exactly that on the blade. Maybe someone on this forum have it ??

Michael :denmark

Attachments

Of course, not-mint or worn knives also deserve being part of a collection as long as they are genuine and war time period. And yours is collectible, for sure!

Thanks to all for the nice comments, and the excellent eye on the origin of the maker's mark. Like I said earlier, I (for my personal collection) am not a big fan of a helmet that spent it's life on a table, in a closet, or on a head during an occasional air raid. And, I am not a big fan of an HJ knife that looks like it never saw a camping trip. I know in the collector's world, people say that it's "all about condition"(and that IS where the profit is!), but I do not collect to 'flip' for profit. I collect because of a passion for history that you can touch, feel, smell, etc. I rarely sell anything from my collection, only once or twice a year at a local militaria show. And most people look at the condition of my pieces and keep walking...hehe.

Back