Opinions invited on H J Knife by to me an unknown maker

Thanks Received
I would be grateful for opinions on this knife by to me an unknown maker. It is not in the best of condition, but am wondering if this is an unusual maker.
I attach some pics.
Thanks,
Peter

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi kriegsmodell,
The markings are M7/87, which is Malch and Ambrom, whom I have not heard of.
Thanks,
Peter

The photos are not the best so hard to say for certain but I am relatively confident the marking is M7/37. Not trying to be argumentative as you may have the piece in hand. Attaching a couple of photos form a Klaas made M7/37 piece for comparison. Note the similarities in font, location, style and even the smallest details. My thoughts only .....

Attachments

I actually do have the piece in hand and it definitely is M7/87. Sorry the pics are so poor. I might get a chance to post a couple of better ones in a few days. Have you come across Malch and Ambrom.
Thanks,
Peter

I have managed to get a more detailed picture, which is not of the best quality, but might be good enough for you to see the marking.
Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

I actually do have the piece in hand and it definitely is M7/87. Sorry the pics are so poor. I might get a chance to post a couple of better ones in a few days. Have you come across Malch and Ambrom. Thanks, Peter

Peter - Yes, I am familiar with Malsch & Ambronn Messerfabrik, Steinbach. To my knowledge they never made the HJ Fahrtenmesser. They were assigned the RZM code of M7/78 however i have never seen an edged weapon with this marking. In my files i have documented examples of early SA and NSKK dolch from this maker however they are pre-RZM pieces marked with their "man & water pump" trademark. I still see M7/37 instead of M7/87 and am convinced this is a Klaas made piece as i have a number of similar pieces documented. My thoughts only ....

Hi kriegsmodell,
Thanks for your reply. Both German Daggers and Lumsden give Malch and Ambrom the designation M7/87, with this spelling, but I must say your spelling seems to make more sense. You have made me think, and I will try and clean the knife up a bit to make the date clearer.
Thanks,
Peter

The spelling that I have used is from period material as well as German Knife and Sword Makers - The Definitive Directory of Makers's and Marks, from 1850 to 1945 by J. Anthony Carter. I am also attaching a period advertisement for the firm which uses this spelling. As noted in the advertisement, the concern produced polishing products as well as knives and cutlery.

Attachments

Thanks for the information kriegsmodell,
I thought that your spelling looked more correct, and it definitely is. Goes to show that some people just take their information from what they think is a reliable source, and don't bother checking it out.
I am quite busy for the next few days, but as soon as I get a chance I will clean up the knife and post another pic. I must say that I am coming around to the same view as yourself and think that, in haste, I have misread the mark.
Thanks,
Peter

Malsch & Ambronn, Steinbach, Kreis Meiningen, Thuringen.
RZM M7/87
RZM 1164/SS

Known for SA, NSKK and SS daggers.

As detailed by kriegsmodell above, they are not recorded as makers of HJ knives.

I also think this is M7/37, often the strikes are not that good or are over-hit - I have seen this on other manufacturers as well, which can give a distorted appearance.

I would be less concerned with the maker and more concerned with the shiney new rivets.

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ,
Thanks for the information. I have not had time to clean it up yet, but now think that it is M7/37. I must say that I had not really noticed how shiny the rivets are, but they certainly stand out in the picture, which means that it has been regripped.
Thanks,
Peter

Hi kriegsmodell and Russ,
I have finally got around to cleaning the knife and as is shown in the pic, it is indeed M7/37.
On comparing it with other Knives it has obviously been regripped, but the diamond looks to be an original one.
I must admit that I did not spot that it had been regripped when I bought it, so I must try and be a little more careful in future!
Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

Back