Opinions invited on this HJ Knife

Thanks Received
This HJ Knife is somewhat puzzling, and I would be grateful for opinions on it. The rivets are not domed, but could have been damaged or replaced I suppose. The diamond looks to be fitting a little too neatly into the serrations of the handle for my liking. The markings other than the motto were apparently too faint to be photographed.
i attach some pics.
Thanks,
Peter

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Peter

Do you have access to any more images?

Particularly the area in between the grip plates and the inner/upper side of the finger guard?

To me, it looks like plates have been removed and a new diamond and/or plates fitted - it looks very tight and the plates appear to fit well.

The blade shape is also a little unusual, but it may be the pics.

Are there any other markings, maker marks etc - there should be something as the blade appears to be in a good condition on the obverse so would assume the reverse should also be good?

Regards

Russ

Attachments

Peter, is the motto actually etched?

I'm thinking this may be one of the various RZM M7/2 marked fakes as the blade shape is the same.

Regards

Russ

Here's an example of what I think it might be, paired with an original scabbard.

Regards

Russ

Attachments

I do not like the diamond and handles...
What Russelm says, could be right..
Or a good knife, with fake handles and diamond.
Therefore You have to make a better picture of the etching.

I don't know for sure, but there a 3 different sizes of diamonds.
This one has to Be the 15x25mm variant.
I heard that they are "late war" variants.
If that is true, than that also doesn't match the transitional knife.
But even if the sizes are right, then I still dont like the diamond

Regarding diamond sizes, there are two.

Generally early knives have the smaller diamonds, later have the larger size.

The diamond on this one doesn't 'look' correct because there is no darker burnishing around the edges, and the corners around the white enamel areas are often worn off as they tend to sit a little higher in the plate.

There is no doubt in my mind that this diamond is a replacement.

This is not a transitional knife, as there are no maker maker or RZM marks that we know of. It is a knife with a motto only, with an odd shaped blade, just like some variants of the RZM M7/2 fake, where the RZM mark has worn off the obverse ricasso.

Regards

Russ

There is a 13x24, 14x24 and 15x25 size diamond.
There was research on warrelics.eu by an authority on knives, Ger Hasselt.
I have 3 original knives with 3 different size diamonds from Ger.

I cant find the topic right now..

Ok, thanks for the info.

Perhaps you could start a topic showing the three different sizes?

Regards

Russ

There is a 13x24, 14x24 and 15x25 size diamond.
There was research on warrelics.eu by an authority on knives, Ger Hasselt.
I have 3 original knives with 3 different size diamonds from Ger.

I cant find the topic right now..

I use the therm transitional if the knife has a ricasso and motto.
Atleast.. Lakeside trader does it, so I assume it's right..

This is from Paul's site:

Transitional Period 1936-1938

• Thicker blades
  • High ricasso
  • Display's both the maker name and logo as well as a RZM designation
  • Motto

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ and Smolders,
This knife came up in auction at a well known Britsh Military Auctioneers. In contrast to most British auctioneers, who put disclaimers on German Items in their auctions, they stated that all the items I the auction were genuine. It went for £220 hammer, about £270 including commission charges and VAT.
I think that they may have missed the mark with this one, which is why I decided not to bid on it. On the face of it, it appears to be a transitional knife, with the high ricasso and motto, but why no maker or RZM markings? They state that there are some other markings that are only faintly visible and don't appear to have attempted to photograph them.
I'm afraid that I don't have any other pics Russ. Together with the grip rivets and the too neatly fitting diamond, which seems to follow exactly the serrations on the handle, then this seems to be a very mucked about knife with possibly some original and some reproduction parts.
I thought that I would post it because I have never come across one exactly like it. I wonder if someone has tried to remove the fake RZM marking off the same type of dagger as you posted Russ?
Thanks,
Peter

I'm fairly sure this was one of the fake RZM M7/2 knives with the marking removed on the obverse ricasso. Plates have been removed and another diamond fitted. It doesn't make sense in this configuration without a maker and/or an RZM Mark, if the motto is etched.

I think you made the right decision by letting this one go.

Regards

Russ

I'm fairly sure this was one of the fake RZM M7/2 knives with the marking removed on the obverse ricasso. Plates have been removed and another diamond fitted. It doesn't make sense in this configuration without a maker and/or an RZM Mark, if the motto is etched.

I think you made the right decision by letting this one go.

Regards

Russ
Thanks Smolders and Russ,
It's a pity that I hadn't posted it earlier, so that I could have questioned the auctioneer on some of these points. Anyway, like you said, it certainly seems to have been the right decision to have let it go.
Thanks,
Peter

Guys.
I knew there were 3 variants of diamonds..
Only.. The sizes I wrote above are wrong.
I made a new thread with the right sizes.

Back