opinions needed on HJ Knife RZM M7/7 Hermann Konejung AG, Solingen

Thanks Received
I would be grateful for opinions on this HJ Knife with aith maker's markn thay I am not familiar with.
Thanks,
Peter.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I would be grateful for opinions on this HJ Knife with aith maker's markn thay I am not familiar with.
Thanks,
Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thats a genuine Transitional hj knife with dual markings: RZM M7/7 Hermann Konejung AG, Solingen.

Regards Mac 66.

Hi Peter,

Thats a genuine Transitional hj knife with dual markings: RZM M7/7 Hermann Konejung AG, Solingen.

Regards Mac 66.

Indeed,

this is what is called a transitional Hj knife.
double markings ; both the maker name and logo as well as an RZM designation and in this case even a faded motto.
These knives are often considered to be the most difficult to find because of there limited production time;
They were only produced from 1936 untill 1938.
Off course there are a few exceptions to that rule (Ex Eickhorn)

So why the name transitional at a given moment in '36 the war ministery decided that it was no longer permitted to use the maker name and or logo of the manufacturer but instead was to be used the RZM marking (Reichzeugmeisterei).
So in the case of this knife RZM M7/7 => (M=material, 7= blade, the following number (7) matches the manufacturer in this case Herman Konejung AG.
A period of time was given to all the manufactures, who in most cases had a good reserve of allready made blades, to add the RZM marking to the allready present logo and name of the maker.
The RZM marking was in general added to the reverse side of the blade or on the ricasso.
This was known as the transitional phase. After 1938 in general markings of logo and name were forbidden, with a few known exceptions, only the RZM marking was of than permitted and no motto was added on the blade.
Most of the transitionals have also the motto on the obverse side of the blade present, but this is not an absolute must to be considered as a transitional.
Further caracteristic of a transitional is the presence of a higher ricasso and a thicker blade than the early ones.

Hopes this gives you a more inside vue,

Wizardelf
:belgium

Back