Opinions needed on unusual Hitler Youth Olympic Knife

Thanks Received
I would be grateful for opinions on this Olympic H J Knife. I attach some pics. Thanks, Peter.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Oh boy here we go again,the old 'is it real " two step".I can't wait to read the comments,the stories,the history.50% will say fake and 50% will say real.never can get a definitive answer.The Olympic blade comes up for sale every now and again the prices are 600.00 to 1000.00 dollars,there only problem is that no one can say if they are the real deal .Story goes that they are a post war fake,another store they were done during the Olympics but were not approved by the Hitler Youth and all the knives ended up in a warehouse until after the war.I have never seen a photo with anyone from the period waring one nor have I seen any pictures in any of the Dagger catalogs that are around.Personally I like the blade and it does look real but I am no expert.One of these days I am going to get one on the off chance they are real.

A very controversial item. Much like the small knives sold as "DJ Knives". They are believers and non believers in these and they always stir up debate, sometimes very heated.

Thanks Operaman and Gefolgschaft. This is the first one that I have seen and had not heard of them before.
Thanks,
Peter.

This is the first one that I have seen
Then you have not been around that long, or have not read the 10,000 plus threads on these. They are available every day of the week. they are not rare, and have asolutely no connection with the HJ or the 1936 Olympics whatsoever. Post war pieces of junk, same as the Reichsparteitag colorful knives, good for gardening i guess...

Nobody has ever seen a photo of these knives between 1936 and 1945.
No written information about these knives between 1936 and 1945.
I think that is it. Nothing else to say.
Would love to be proved wrong.

Then you have not been around that long, or have not read the 10,000 plus threads on these. They are available every day of the week. they are not rare, and have asolutely no connection with the HJ or the 1936 Olympics whatsoever. Post war pieces of junk, same as the Reichsparteitag colorful knives, good for gardening i guess...

Great summary of the 10,000+ threads!

Regards

Russ

What is it about this knife that everyone WANTS it to be real but the facts are not there.Somebody made theses things and I would love to kbnow who.

Thanks Metallwarenfabrik for your robust reply. HJ Knives are not my main area of interest, but I get the message. Thanks also Christianlohman, Russ and Operaman. Most of the fake HJ's I have seen have the rim on the scabbard, otherwise they tend to have an obvious fault such as the wrong RZM number. The packet, in this case, seems impressive, but I have little knowledge of these. It's great that one can put something like this on the forum and get some genuine feedback. The estimate on this item is £600.
Thanks,
Peter.

very wise like others have said junk thats has been given some sort of authenticity by the big dealers who can sell them for stupid money to unsuspecting individuals, leave well alone

very wise like others have said junk thats has been given some sort of authenticity by the big dealers who can sell them for stupid money to unsuspeting individuals, leave well alone

Thats the way to go, just like Chris Ailsby, print it, and it MUST be good. Hopefully one day, one of these sellers will wear one.. in the neck !

so much bad stuff being accepted as good these days because its either in a book or 10 people on a forum say its good so it must be,
the amount of times someone answers a thread with good and 4-5 will jump in straight away and agree, then when someone with actual knowledge says its rubbish they all make their excuses about angle of pic or lighting or any other rubbish, granted we all make mistakes but why people feel the need to give yes or no answers on items they have no clue on baffles me.

because its either in a book or 10 people on a forum say its good so it must be,
LOL, Stuart, you are SO, going to eat these words, as i used an example of this exact thing, POSTED BY YOU, that will be in an upcoming volume of International Medal Collector...
Possibly the next issue.. But its true, of course you are right, and so am i, and we all make mistakes too.. but only greedy Hobbits like me jump on them and get the published.. (i am sure Wim Saris would like to have a few of my mistakes published too. :thumbup:)

But, i left all names out in the Article. I just used the posts !

Thank Stuart and Metallwarenfabrik. I would have acknowledged your replies sooner, but my email notification seems to be a little awry! I certainly agree with the sentiments expressed. I must say that the maker markings seem to have been exceptionally good on the item, and it must have been a bit of a fiddle to make. I think that it went for around £250, but who wants to pay this sort of money for a fake! I was fortunate not to purchase this thanks to the views expressed on this forum, but was myself caught out the other day when I purchased what I thought was a genuine Air Crew Europe Star at an antiques fair. These are notorious for fakery, and I thought that I had a thorough knowledge of the different types of fakes, having handled a few genuine ones and several different types of fake, which are commonly for sale in antique fairs advertised as genuine items. When I got my purchase home and compared it with a genuine one, I saw that this was in fact a new type of fake to me, not having the flaws commonly found in other fakes, but differing from a genuine one in a couple of minor ways, which nevertheless I should have spotted, had I not been so excited at finding what I thought was a genuine item for change. I wasn't cheap either, so I think keeping ahead of the faker requires constant vigilance. Thanks, Peter.

as i stated jo we all make mistakes im sure you have made a few in your time too, but would like a pm about the one you mention above rather than try and make me look bad in a open forum but hey thats your choice, ive never pretended to be an expert and would never claim to be, im just another collector trying to learn the best way to not get caught by asking the right questions of the right people

Hermann Historica has one of these in their act. 64. lot 7782. start at E350. says its a USA lot. the Emil Vous packet has " Berliner Olypiade" printed in red. they have a few hj daggers , one of them 7786 again a USA lot appears to have the diamond glued in . I could not down load the photos from this site otherwise I would have put them up.

Back