HJ knife by Tiger Solingen - opinions please.

Thanks Received
I would be grateful for opinions on this knife. I attach some pics.
Thanks,
Peter

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Nice early original knife with the stretch grip plate pattern.

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ, I thought that it looked ok. What do you mean by stretch grip plate pattern, and how is this different from other patterns?
Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter, many of the early knives have this stretch grip plate pattern. It is very easy to recognise and quite distinctive. If you compare to most mid or later produced knives, you will see that the diamond chequered pattern on the plate appears compressed and stretched out. You will notice that in relation to the enamel diamond, these stretch plate patterns are no where near parallel to shape of the enamel diamond, but later produced plate patterns are quite close to parallel, but not actually parallel. I hope this make sense!

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ

I have never looked on the angel of the chequered pattern on early ones and later ones. The only difference I have noticed on the grip, is the size of the HJ diamond.

I have taken a pic of a late one (left) and an early one (right), I can see the difference in the angel, but not so much stretched as the Tiger-one. If I should call it anything, the right one I would call "medium streched". What is your opinion on this ?

Michael :denmark

Attachments

I was waiting for someone to post this type lol..

Ok, this is another pattern as well seen on early and sometimes later knives, used often by Anton Wingen and other manufacturers. When making comparisons between early stretched and mid to later plates I wasn't referring to this type of pattern for an example. I'd say this pattern is in between in terms of stretch but it does not have a specific 'time' period for its use. Compare the early stretch plate shown in the first post to the M7/13 plate to see what I initially meant.

Regards

Russ

Thanks Michael and Russ,
Michael, What do you mean by angel?
Russ, I can see exactly what you mean by comparing the pattern of the handle to the ones posted by Michael. Thanks for the explanation. Interesting to see the intermediate example posted by Michael.
Peter

Hi Peter

I refrained from 'labeling' the plates shown by Michael because this can imply a time period. Eg: 'Intermediate' suggests the type of plate shown is found in between the early type stretch plate and the later near-parallel type which is incorrect as they appear throughout the production period of the knives. Not all early knives use the stretch type pattern either so to be clear, there is no definite time period for using a particular type of plate, it is merely an observation.

By 'angel', I assume Michael meant 'angle'.

Regards

Russ

Russ is quite right in his assumption, I ment angle and not "a person with white wings" :lol:

Michael :denmark

Back