Please Help! HJ dagger RZM M7/66 Eichhorn

Thanks Received
Hey guys,
New to this forum, so please be nice!
Im looking to purchase my first HJ dagger and just wanted to get your opinion on this piece before I commit.

The Dagger has a Motto, but cant see a makers mark.

thoughts?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Looks like it's in pretty rough shape, blade looks like it's been ground on or something. I don't see red flags from the photos, but I'm not a dagger collector. Personally unless the price was really cheap I'd hold out for a nicer example. Others here with more experience in daggers will hopefully see the thread and comment.

I took your advice and went for a more "complete" blade.

What are your thoughts on this piece?

Attachments

its a nicer dagger, this is a later version without the motto, personally i like the early or transitional versions where you get the motto on, but i suppose it depends on your budget but you can pick really nice ones up for a nice price.

how much are you looking to spend ????

My only concern with this dagger is the RZM designation and makers mark seem to be on the same side as the riccasso.
Also, if this is a late piece, should there be a maker mark and logo on the blade?

The whole point of having a nice dagger is being able to see the motto and the makers mark.Make sure that the diamond has a little wiggle to it (not glued in).and over buffering and sharpening can really damage a blade.There are lots of knives out there that you can buy for 395.00 $ and up.The more you spend the better it is(so what else is new) Use a reputable dealer with a return policy and a certificate of authenticity and you cannot go wrong.

My only concern with this dagger is the RZM designation and makers mark seem to be on the same side as the riccasso.
Also, if this is a late piece, should there be a maker mark and logo on the blade?

not sure of your point here the ricasso shows on both sides, what you should not have is a rzm or maker mark on the same side as the hj emblem.

as for the late piece not having maker mark there are actually 4 common variations which basically break down as

version 1 early, no ricasso, motto ,maker mark no rzm
version 2 transitional ,ricasso, maker mark rzm and motto,
version 3 transitional , ricasso maker mark and rzm no motto
version 4 late war ricasso rzm , no makers mark and no motto.

so the dagger above is more a late transitional ,

Hi Stuart,
Thanks so much for your information. I read the Lakeside trader article on HJ daggers and must have misunderstood. This is my first dagger so im obviously very inexperienced!. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again

Mark

Hi Stuart, your statement above regarding RZM markings on the obverse ricasso is in-correct. There are many legitimate examples with the RZM mark on the obverse ricasso. However, there are also many fakes with this positioning as well, and this is probably why this mis-conception exists. I have pics of many originals, but there is one on Pauls site at the moment which is entirely correct.

Regards

Russ

Also, as an example, the Anton Wingen knight maker mark is seen on the obverse ricasso as well.

Regards

Russ

hi russ

can you post a pic , would love to see it i have never seen a good hj where the rzm mark was on the same side as the hj emblem

just had a look on pauls's site and saw the klass dagger you mentioned and you are correct, not something i have seen before and clearly quite an odd variation compared to the normal versions, have you ever seen any with the rzm logo on the blade on the same side as the hj emblem or do these only appear on the ricasso itself ?

Hi Stuart, I don't recall ever seeing an RZM logo on the obverse blade, just on the ricasso. I would agree that it is probably less common to see the RZM logo on the obverse ricasso but they do exist. Also, as many fakes are marked this way, it pays to scrutinise more carefully all other aspects of HJ's marked in this way to be sure it is original.

Regards

Russ

There's also an Ed Wusthof on Pauls site marked on the obverse ricasso.

Regards

Russ

I dont think the scabbard and dagger match ! the scabbard is too beaded up to match the dagger, just my opinion, but a nice dagger imo.

Back