Request for Info on a UK Dealer

Thanks Received
Hi Everyone, my first post as a new member so any help appreciated! Has anyone had any dealings with a UK dealer called Brian Greenhalgh who owns/runs Bayonet King in Blackpool. Has about 7 HJ Knives currently for sale and I will be in Blackpool from 2nd to 5th January 2014 an was planning a visit to the shop. Thanks, Nick

never dealt with him ,never actually heard of him ,butthere used to be a dealer from blackpool who sold a load of fake stuff so be carefull might be the same guy doesnt sound familiar but get pics before buying if you can

Thanks for reply. There is a dealer called Paul Waterworth who operates International Militaria in Blackpool who has been given a very unfavourable reputation on the War Relics Forum! Brian Greenhalgh operates from a different business address about 3 miles away also in Blackpool. Lots of pictures of the HJ Knives on his website which look OK but I will find out more when I visit on Friday. Hopefully post a picture next week if I buy anything.

You mean Bayonet King Militaria

Quite a few (easy to spot & known) fake small badges on that site, so i would be careful with the knives, and want better pictures than those shown.

Thanks! Beginning to think that my original plan of buying from Lakesidesidetrader is by far the best policy. Paul seems to get pretty unanimous approbation for genuine dealings. Only thing that has stopped me up to now is concerns over customs and import issues but I'm sure they can be overcome!

Thanks! Beginning to think that my original plan of buying from Lakesidesidetrader is by far the best policy. Paul seems to get pretty unanimous approbation for genuine dealings. Only thing that has stopped me up to now is concerns over customs and import issues but I'm sure they can be overcome!
I would personally be careful dealing with anyone, not just "known or unknown" names, as Lakeside have had, and have, their share of fakes too.
A forum like this one would be the best place to get any good info from people who actually collect, study, and have period words of wisdom to share, as opposed to a dealer who in all likelihood will list an item, and then never partake in any form of dialog pertaining to any issues - if there were issues.

on a quick glance the daggers shoen look ok and he has highlighted a fake for sale so a good point i suppose, but the pics are not the best to be honest

Welcome P1ngudad,

I had a quick look at Bayonet King Militaria.
For what is to be seen on the pics the HJ knives (apart for the mentioned copy) look to be authentic at first glance.
You can always, ask the seller to take some additional pics, more in detail (pommelnuts, diamond inlay, ....). If the seller has nothing to hide he will be glad to do this for you.

As in regards to Paul Hogle (Lakesidetrader) I personally have had untill now, never any issues with him. His prices are not exagerated in comparisons to some of the other dealers, he offers guarantees in wether or not the knife is genuine (I know untill now there is still the issue of the "Reichsparteitag knife, BDM/DJ Knife and the Olympic knife") for me this is easy as long as the community is not for 100% sure, wether or not they are genuine, just don't buy them.
I for one will not step into this trap again. (I bought a so-called DJ knife from an other even better known seller/author of many books in my early days of a collector)

IMO,the guy (lakesidetrader) is honest, he even has put up some guidelines for beginner-collectors to try to spot the fake-ones.

If you still remain after this a bitt hesitant, ask to forward pics of your choice of knife and post them here on the forum, more experienced guys overhere, will be glad to give you their opinion.
That is what this forum is all about, to share information and to help a fellow collector.

Hope this was usefull to you,
Good hunting
Mike
:belgium

Just to tidy up this thread, Bayonet King only operate on a "Mail Order" basis. I contacted them by telephone and informed them that I was in Blackpool for a few days but they did not offer a "Face to Face" meeting so I tactfully withdrew from the conversation. Too many dealers running mail order only and all basically using the same format of website is, I find, rather off-putting. Happily, thanks to this forum, I have taken the first step to building my HJ collection and once the transaction is successfully completed I will post a more detailed account. Thanks for all your help!

Too many dealers running mail order only and all basically using the same format of website is, I find, rather off-putting.
You mean the concept500 style. And i agree with you, it is boring. It is probably the easiest and laziest method of setting up a site, simply because no setting up is required, the layouts are pre-set, all you need to do is pay a few pounds, add a header, and start adding images. I call it the "This is a truly..." website... A joke on my part, as this is how one Dutch dealer prefixes 99,9% of all his sales descriptions using the concept500 way. (LINK)
Being a pre-set format, the thing that pxxxses me off the most, is that you are forced to use the forward and back buttons on the pages & images, touch your "back" button in the browser just once, and the whole thing goes to pot.

There must be 80 or more Militaria sites that use this uncreative fixed platform, BUT..... i do understand them though. Not everyone has the necessary pc skills required to make their own site, or the time to constantly update-tweek-manage, which i know from first hand experience can be very time consuming. So it is possibly an attractive alternative for those who simply wish to insert images, and copy the same text captions.. "this is a truly...:lol:" So i guess these concept guys have cornered a niche, and cater especially for the uncreative, offering a "Military style" as well as a "Medal style" ►
The C500 Exp includes all the features you require for selling medals on-line.
Jedem das seine i guess.

Back