SMF HJ Knife

Thanks Received
This look ok?, diamond has some movement. Thanks in advance.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I think that this is a real nice oroginalHJ-dagger, an early one without ricasso and with brown leatherstrap. And it is with SMF MM also on the scabbard, which is rarely seen :yo:. SMF stand for: Solinger Metallwaren Fabrik Stöcker & Co. I would like it in my own Collection.

Michael :denmark

A lovely piece,:001_cool:

Especially the fact that the scabbard is signed is very good.
I'm not so sure about the bakelite handgrips, though.
Have they Always belonged to this knife, I wonder?
Mostly they are well adapted to the knife itself, wich is here not the case, noticeble on your picture wich shows the upperside of the hilt.
This does not mean that they are fake, but sometimes it happens that somebody assembles or upgrades a knife with genuine pieces.
The backelite handgrips don't seem to have very much proof of usage, wich is to be expected from a knife, (certainly the early pieces) as it seems to have been used, the blade shows enough proof of this. It seems to me the grips are as good as new.
The fact that you describes the movement of the diamond as;
"diamond has some movement" gives me the impression that this is almost not noticeble?
the movement of the diamond itself is not proof of genuity, but over time, that is my personal experience they all start to wiggle, wich is normal if you know how they are fixed in the grips. (the backside of the diamond has to splints wich are passed throw a hole in the grips and than backfolded. understandable that over a timeperiod of several years, decades the firmness of folding loossens a bit, with as a result that the diamond wiggles, when little pressure is applied upon one of his corners or allready just by moving the knife).

But I'm just giving here my opinion based on pictures, wich is never easy. You're the only one, when holding it in your hands who can feel this for real.

the blade itself has been sharpened, wich is the case with about 85% of all knives, I guess.
Hey they were used by kids during camping and hiking in the woods, so understandebly.
But this is just the reason why knives with "near" mint blades (presence of crossgrains, untouched and not sharpened) are so high prized and desired by advanced collectors, not afraid to pay that extra buck for it.
All in all a nice catch, welldone. :clap2:

wizardelf
:belgium

I agree with wizardelf but it is a nice knife because of the MM scabbard
SMF is the only mm scabbard as far as I know.

Back