What is the proper way to look after a HJ knife?

Thanks Received
Hi guys, I had been doing a bit of searching though didn't find much on this topic so thought I would create a post.
I'm sure there are some veteran collectors out there that know how these should be looked after properly . Should they be handled with cotton gloves to stop staining or wiped down with a solution after holding or just simply just left alone? Let's hear your thoughts on how to look after the separate parts of the knife and scabbard, and if the condition of the blade etc changes how it should be cared for.

Keep them in a place free from moisture and sunlight. If you handle them you can wipe them down gently with a silicone type cloth used for firearms to remove fingerprints and prevent the skin oils from causing rust. Do not polish or oil them.

All good info above. Some people like to use renwax and leather conditioners - but I think it best to just leave them alone and just wipe down gently after handling as Darin has suggested or wear cotton or latex gloves when being handled. Products used on the leather can alter the colour and also rot the leather if it is very dry, so they are best avoided in my opinion. The main thing is a stable environment, using a de-humidifier is a good option.

Regards

Russ

As already said, just leave them alone in a dry place free from sunlight. I do nothing else, and I am sure I will die before my knives will.

Back