Your thoughts on my Hitler Youth knife M7/66 1942

Thanks Received
Afternoon folks,

I'm digging out some of my bequethed WW2 memorabilia from my grandfather, and was looking for your thoughts on the condition and marks on my dagger.

I have had a look at the RZM guides, but have not seen one with the makers mark and the number on the same side.

I know the dagger is authentic, my grandfather took it off the poor chap himself in '42, but would it be considered to be in good condition?

Wondered also about the value of this dagger, if I'd known they were quite valuable, i maybe wouldnt have played with it so much as a lad! Im not looking to sell it however, since it has far greater personal value.

Any thoughts or insight into this particular model would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

got it, im an eejit, tried to upload all at once!
Many thanks

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the hj forum, your hj knife is a genuine Eickhorn 1942 dated knife with the Over the shoulder squirrel logo,

the scabbard unfortunately is a post war product from around 1950-1960 or there abouts,

Your hj knife looks in good condition but with the post war scabbard i would value it at £120,

if the scabbard was genuine, £180-£200.

M7/66 Carl Eickhorn, Solingen.

Regards Mac 66.

Last edited:
my grandfather took it off the poor chap himself in '42
That would be an interesting story to hear, especially in 1942? where did he "meet" the HJ lad in 1942?
No idea about the HJ-knife, but the scabbard is with 100% certainly a reproduction - no questions :thumbdown:

Thank you for that sir, interesting about the scabbard! Perhaps I have it mixed up with another one I have. Is this the original scabbard as per pic?

Attachments

That would be an interesting story to hear, especially in 1942? where did he "meet" the HJ lad in 1942?
No idea about the HJ-knife, but the scabbard is with 100% certainly a reproduction - no questions :thumbdown:

It is an interesting story, although probably with some grandfatherly embellishments! The story goes, according to my grandmother, that when he escaped from his POW (stalag XXI-B) along with 3 others, he had been taken in/helped by a german family. They, or the young lad gave him the knife along with some food (I assume he may have stolen it, though, before he left) . Thats the general jist of it, it is nice though as that family stayed in contact with my gran, and I have met the American and french chaps he escaped with. I have his dog-tag from XXI-B, and the American fellow bequethed me his Air medal and campaign medals

Thank you for that sir, interesting about the scabbard! Perhaps I have it mixed up with another one I have. Is this the original scabbard as per pic?

Hi Paul,

Yes thats the original Eickhorn scabbard that goes with your Eickhorn hj knife,

Cheers Mac 66.

Excellent, thank you again!

I have an old scout knife which looks identical (although has 'foreign' stamped on the blade!) and the scabbard was in better condition than the HJ one, so I must have put the knife in the 'good' scabbard. I now have them re-united!

Im so glad you could help me identify what the knife was,
and I'm glad that the scabbard is with 100% certainty the original-no questions:good:

Attachments

Sorry to ask a little more, I may be pushing my luck, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to a nice way to display this knife? Are there any other pertinent bits or bobs which I might collect for display alongside it? Its just been kept in an old biscuit tin with some others bequethed to me, and it seems a bit of a waste. And I take it it's legal to display this, what with it being an 'offensive weapon' etc..?

Yes, something like that im considering, I would make it myself probably though and save myself 25Eur!

And that last sentence right there probably alludes to the fact that I'm not Irish, but Scottish! Our slang does coincide sometimes...

Thanks for taking the time

Back