DJ boy with Fähnlein flag

Thanks Received
Not sure of year.!

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Interesting photo. The corner panel on this post-1935 standardised Fähnlein flag appears to show 1/2/27? with that last digit being invisible. There is also a second corner panel beneath that one which could either be a unit name patch like the last flag shown in THIS post or possibly a revised version of the unit number as it was after the disbandment of that Jungbann in August 1937. Due to the proportions of the upper panel I don't think that we are looking at 1/2/27 here but it is a possibility. However, even if it is 1/2/27 the remainder of this post still applies as this unit designation disappeared from the first of Aug 1937 along with the others that I mention later on.

If we assume 1/2/27? on that corner panel, there are only three possibilities:

1/2/271 (Fähnlein 1 of Jungbann 2/271)
1/2/273
1/2/276

All of the above Jungbanne were created additionally and subsequently to Jungbann 1/271 (etc) to cater for the large influx of young boys who joined the DJ in earlier years in those areas but on the first of August 1937 all three were disbanded. After this the unit designations on the flags would have been (Fähnlein number)/271, (Fähnlein number)/273 and (Fähnlein number)/276 respectively so I think we are looking at the pre-Aug 1937 version of that boy's Fähnlein flag.

Dating the photo: if you invert the photo to negative, the boy's buckle appears to show the bottom half of a DJ rune (see below) so if that is correct we can date the photo to pre-Jan 1938. He is wearing his knife in the post-1935 position, he has a post mid-1935 DJ shoulder strap, the flag is the post-1935 design and the flag corner panel shows a unit designation that disappeared in August 1937 so all things considered I think we are probably looking at a photo from 1936/7 here.

Attachments

Yes, definitely an interesting one with two corner panels like that. I can see what you mean with the buckle rune Garry. I chucked the photo into PS and I can see that on the buckle at a specific zoom position. At other posiotions I can convince myself that there's a fuzzy diamond there too though if I squint hard :blink: If it is one then the photo might be a little later of course but not much.

Wow, Thx you guys. Just love this forum and nice when a rare picture pop up now and then so We all can lern from it.

Back