Grandfather photo

Thanks Received
Hello,
this is a photo of my Grandfather.
I have no information about him only this picture.
I think I see a "Dienstschnur" (hope you see it too).
Maybe you can help me what he is also wearing.
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Best regards
Lukas

Attachments

The photos that i have are from Salzburg my mother said to me that he lived in graz.But she is not sure. Everything got lost.

Well, it appears that the straps are black background so that would make the photo to be post 1938. There are several Bann that were located in Gebiet 32 Salzburg, one of our Austrian members will know which Bann were the closest to Graz. I cannot tell for certain the rank from the photo shown, but Rottenfuhrer is possible.

The photos that i have are from Salzburg my mother said to me that he lived in graz.But she is not sure. Everything got lost.

Hi,

Thanks for showing the photo of your grandfather. If his HJ unit was in Graz he would have worn shoulder straps with "545" (HJ Gebiet 30 Steiermark). If the unit was in Salzburg the number on the straps would have been "578" (HJ Gebiet 32 Salzburg). Bann 583 covered the rural areas of Salzburg so that is also a possibility.

I've just run the photo through Photoshop and it's difficult to make out much detail. Is that just the scan or is the original a little grainy too? He seems to have a Rottenführer rank Litze as Ewan mentioned but when I invert the photo and then zoom in I think what we are seeing is actually a fold in the material of his shirt and a shadow?

One thing that we can see of course is the lanyard which looks to be the thick green one for the appointment of HJ-Scharführer / DJ-Jungzugführer (in 1940 when this photo was taken, the lanyard showed the appointment and not necessarily the actual rank of the wearer). The shoulder straps do not show any indication of rank or stitched Bann number when you zoom in. They look blank to be honest. Do you know for certain that he was a HJ member when this photo was taken? Could he have been a DJ leader? I only ask because I have another photo here of a DJ Fähnleinführer who also has blank shoulder straps. It's still odd that the straps don't have any insignia/Bann number and of course that your grandfather would be wearing an armband in DJ summer uniform but hey, just examining all possible angles :)

Attachments

Thank you garry. I made the photo a little bit brigther. I found another photo from him but i can scan it on the weekend. I upload the original photo too.

Hi Guys!
Sorry that i post the photo's very late. I think that we could see the Schnur in the first Photo better. On the secound Photo he is standing at the left side an in the last row he is the right boy.

Attachments

Back