HJ portrait photos with Edelweiss insignia

Glad to pass on some helpful and correct information when I can. Also great HJ Leader photo Henrik, you can really see the details in the insignia.

Members of the NSFK gruppe 14 were allowed to wear the edelweiss with the swastica. The same type was used by members of SA-Gruppe Hochland.

Members of the NSFK gruppe 17 were allowed to wear the edelweiss withouth the swastica. The same type was used by members of SA-Gruppe Ostmark.

Both types had to be was placed on the left side of the headgear.

../henrik

Henrik

Sorry if this is a silly question but why would the FliegerKorps wear a "mountain" badge?

Nick

This about edelweis is very interesting and special with gebiet Sudost Steiermark was story more complicated I think and more interesting like see on first view.

Guys

Does this mean there a Gebirgsjaeger organisation of the HJ ?

Nick
Hi Nick, Got this photo which i thought might interest you. It's of an HJ leader from Sudost Salzburg (possibly Scharfuhrer) firearm training at the Gebirgsjaeger School in Mittenwald 1943,

Edd

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
I've read that the insignia was ordered to be worn on the collar as the photos show. In the Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt for the HJ Organization a special issue was published (Sonderdruck 7/38) dating September 30, 1938 about the service-dress for HJ and DJ. It states that for the Hochland Gebiet that all forms of cap would wear the Edelweiss. It is to be positioned in the middle of the left side of the cap, close to the lowest edge. Leaders were not authorized to wear the Edelweiss.

Orders about the Edelweiss for the Austrian HJ would be announced later.
The regulations from the above mentioned periodical dated June 16, 1939, more then six months later, on page 219, the text practically literally translated states:

The Edelweiss-insignia for the Obergebiet Südost has to be worn immediately from now on with the shirt, the blouse and winterblouse, as also with all forms of clothings for the leaders and the highest leaders (Führerkorps) with the exception of the leaders greatcoat with black cuffs.
It has to be worn at the right lapel of the tunic or respectively the collar for the shirt in such way that the stem for the insignia has to point into the outer tip of the collar.

Credit to W. Saris for the above information.

Here is a Sommermütze in my collection that has the 'Hochland' style Edelweiss affixed .

Attachments

Back