Jugendtag 1937 (Schäßburg in Romania?) - Youth Day 1937

Pimpf359

Thanks Received
Hello,
I got the image. I've never seen these flags. It is Deutsches Jungvolk or scouts?

Best Regards
Steve

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Very interesting photo, I neither remember seeing the symbol in the middle nor the flag on the right before.
These symbols are not scout related. In 1937 there were no more scouts in the Deutsche Reich.
It seems to have something to do with the Reichsarbeitsdienst I would say. Maybe Wim has some input.
I can not read the town 100% and so I can not locate the place for sure.
Might be an old German name for a place that has been renamed, but Google did not help.
I think this might be a place outside the Deutsche Reich borders of that year.
Keep in mind that in 1937 neither Austria nor Böhmen und Mähren was within the Reich yet.
Might also be in another German settlement area in Sudetenland, Romania, Hungaria or Croatia.

You are right, that is the town. I did not think of the "ß".
This town is more than 1000 km away from e.g. Passau,
or more than 800 km away from Krakau.
So this was far away from the Deutsches Reich at those times.

Great photo Steve. Yes, that is Schäßburg (Sighisoara) and these kids are attending the National Youth Day of the Association of German Youth in Romania (Bund der deutschen Jugend in Romänien). The event was held between the 21st and 22nd of August and 6123 boys and girls attended.

Source: Nationalsozialistische Indoktrination der Deutschen in Rumänien 1932-1944, Johann Böhm

Indeed a nice photo with symbols. Schäszburg in later years would be Bann 2 from Rumania.
The reverse of the card says: Zur Erinnerung an den Jugendtag in Schäszburg 1937.

I do not know why one sees the FAD symbol (FAD spade-form and not RAD). It is possible a
German labor service was active there about 1937 in helping out to arrange a Rumanian labor-
service, which existed later as the MTR (which I think is phrased as Munca Tinereta ui Roman
or likewise). The Rumanian labor-service was a look-a-like for the RAD in piecetime.

Back