marine hj

Thanks Received
This is not the normal is it

is he just being greedy

bottom triangle is mitte sachfen but cant make the other one out any ideas
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

top man thanks paul wish i had the triangle instead of the picture but nice pic all the same

one of the most interesting pictures we have seen the question now is why the two triangles. my thought is the top is now more of a traditions one when the name was changed in 1942 this now bodes the question when was the photo taken dive in on this one and lets hear your thoughts and theories

PAUL

Top triangle:
Ost
Danzig-Westpreussen

Introduced 21 December 1939.

In 1942 Danzig-Westpreussen was renamed to Westpreussen. The renaming was to take place after the war. The term "Danzig-Westpreussen" was still used in 1943/1944

Buttom triangle:
Mitte
Sachsen

Introduced 1 August 1933

../henrik

Great photo Steve. Very interesting. He's from Marine-Gefolgschaft 4 of Bann 5 Groß-Danzig (previously Danzig) but that Bann was never part of Gebiet 16 Sachsen. As Henrik says, his 'home' Gebiet is Danzig-Westpreussen. This was created through the renaming of Gebiet Ostland at the end of 1939 with Bann Danzig being renamed Bann Groß-Danzig two years later so it's odd that his hat tally isn't showing 'Groß-Danzig' - especially as late as 1945 when the photo was taken (if that is indeed what the date on the reverse means).

I don't see any signs of either triangle being a tradition triangle and in any case this boy looks too young to have been able to qualify anyway. This method of wearing the Sachsen triangle is only (in my experience anyway) seen on the tracksuit and even then it was against regulations to do so but he's obviously trying to tell us something with the Sachsen triangle so perhaps this is a boy who has recently moved west from Danzig to Sachsen (perhaps in 1945 as the Russians encircled Danzig)and is wearing the Sachsen triangle as an outward and temporary sign of this. I don't know. Interesting photo though.

hi guys thought i would post this here as some folk might not have seen it but i know a couple has. its another intresting non regulation setup in wear the picture is from a 1934 calender.

image borrowed from member at the WRF so thanks.

:thumbup:

Attachments

great info Garry thanks for the further thoughts on this. When I said the triangle was being worn as a traditions badge , I meant that the plain triangle was being used for that purpose not litzen required. It would be most interesting to date the photo for sure but must be well into the war years .The use of traditions badges and mascot insignia transcends the whole German machine from RAD to U-BOATS with no written authorization in many even most cases

Back