Photo: Deutsches Jungvolk DJ member from Gebiet Nord/Nordsee. Rune colour?

Thanks Received
I found this foto on Ebay (the listing has unfortunately been removed, so couldn't bid).

I was wondering if someone could tell me what color the sig rune would have been.
It's an early picture (early buckle and early font of the district triangle), so I'm not a 100% certain if it is the red one.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

Difficult to know when the pic was taken but he isn't wearing any of the insignia that would denote early membership (Potsdam badge, Tradition stripe, Type 1 or 2 DJ membership badge) so I would date the pic to perhaps mid-1933 to 1934.

These runes are interesting because there are originals that don't seem to match any known criteria but the early (pre-Oberbann) DJ rune patches are noted in one source1 as being in the colour of the associated SA-Gruppe so with this boy being from HJ Gebiet Nordsee we would expect to see a dark-brown patch. Once freed from direct control by the SA, the HJ began to reorganise and the majority colour within HJ-Gruppe Nord was black/white until the the major structural reorganisation of July 1933. So, we have two colour possibilities for the rune: brown or black. However, this is a later photo so we would have to assume that he is either wearing an old rune patch in one of those colours or that he is wearing a non-standard, Oberbann rune patch.

All of the Nordsee DJ Jungbanne had been organised into Oberbann 1, 2 and 3 by the beginning of 1934 which gives us three colour options: red, yellow and green. Due to the rapid influx of new members around this time it may have been necessary to raise an Oberbann 4 (blue) and I'll check that now but the Oberbann system was abolished beginning in April 1934 (completed by 1st of Jan 1935) so I would think that we can really only consider red, yellow and green as options.

On balance though, I would think that the patch in the photo is a pre-July 1933 version in black with white rune.

1NSDAP Aufbau und Abzeichen 1933

Thanks Garry for the info!

Black and white was also my guess, as I believe to have seen/read that HJ Gruppe Nord/Bremen also using this color combination in the earlier years.

Nordsee did only have three Oberbann-colors, as far as I know, according to late 1933
or early 1934 information. In my opinion this is a 1933/1934 photograph, but not before
July 1933. It seems too me that black is totally out of the question as this was then
Oberbann 5. Or he is wearing a patch according to the old system? But with this type
of triangle it can only be red, yello or green and for yellow the background is too dark!

Thanks Garry for the info!

Black and white was also my guess, as I believe to have seen/read that HJ Gruppe Nord/Bremen also using this color combination in the earlier years.

That's correct indept. Within HJ-Gruppe Nord, Black/white was the majority colour and was used by Hannover-Süd, Hannover-Ost and Schleswig-Holstein.

It seems too me that black is totally out of the question as this was then
Oberbann 5. Or he is wearing a patch according to the old system? But with this type
of triangle it can only be red, yello or green and for yellow the background is too dark!

That's my thinking too. The patch he is wearing is different to the RZM version so I think that he is wearing an older version with the colours previously used within HJ-Gruppe Nord by Hannover-Süd, Hannover-Ost and Schleswig-Holstein (black/white).

It is such a small world ! I bought it months ago. It was off ebay but i bid til the last minute

Attachments

Back