Photo from January 1945

Thanks Received
As far as I understand he had his photo taken on his 16th birthday.
Though Kurt Kupke looks still quite young to me.
Just got this photo today while hunting for my collection.
The number on his shoulder is 819.
The triangle is probably Nord- Nord... (Nordmark?)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

At 16 years of age this boy should be a regular HJ member. DJ membership was for 10 to 14 year old boys. Are you certain this is from his 16th birthday and not earlier? I suppose it's possible he was still a DJ member at that age and he wears some Leadership insignia, but I think he should be regular HJ at 16 years old. It's a great photo by the way.

You might be right. Maybe he presented the picture to someone on that date in January 1945. He signed it and put down the date of presentation. Maybe the person who recived it (girlfriend?) wrote down his birthday, so that she would not forget it. A lot of maybes... But that would explain why he looks younger. Although the insignias point out that he might be older than he looks on the other hand.

As far as I remember, DJ leaders, also adults, wore the DJ patch, and not the HJ armband.

You might be right. Maybe he presented the picture to someone on that date in January 1945. He signed it and put down the date of presentation. Maybe the person who recived it (girlfriend?) wrote down his birthday, so that she would not forget it. A lot of maybes... But that would explain why he looks younger. Although the insignias point out that he might be older than he looks on the other hand.

Back