Then and now - HJ at the Hermannsdenkmal

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
I can see this famous monument from my window so I thought I'd upload a couple of then and now pictures. There is a little info on Hermann here (scroll down the page):

Battle of the Teutoburg Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The group in the third photo is identifiable as being from Pivitsheide which is a small town close to the monument.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Very neat photos with a great history of the location to go along with them. No wonder the kids posed here, I am sure they were told of the history and battle before visiting the site.

Yes, the monument was a definite tourist magnet back then. Same today really only without the symbolism. I'll have to get out and about sometime soon and get some more of these 'then and now' shots together.

I visited there in the 60s several times always crowded with locals. My understanding is the American P51 pilots would finish any 50 cal ammo into this monument and it required much repair after the war

PAUL

I went to this monument many times when on holliday in Bielefeld.It an amazing monument right there in the teutoburger forrest.

That's right Paul. It did take some hits during the war as you say. You can see the damage on these photos taken just before work to restore the monument began in 1951.

Attachments

Thanks for showing Garry,

It would be lovely to continue this type of section in the future. Hope that when I get to live in Munich, I can do a few good pics of Koenigsplatz there and so on.

Regards

Antonio

great pictures of a stunning monument great to see that not everything was obliterated during the war , as paul mentioned elsewhere "third reich in ruins" is a great site for now and then pictures

steve

Keep those before and after pics coming Garry, I know that I will never get over to Germany and see these amazing sites so please show all that you can!

thanks Brad

Back