very early march

Thanks Received
is that a marine collar on one of the boys?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

yes he he's wearing a Marine collar with an anchor patch on his arm.But what is the first boy wearing on his arm looks like a skull of some sort.

My guess is that it is a school boy outfit common in the 20s early 30s and has not much to do with "marine" hj.

The entire outfit is clearly, to me, early hj, but I think those are just the clothes they had.

The skull though is what I find interesting on the lead kid. However, the skull per se did not mean much based on German military history. Hussars had them, so perhaps just something the leader told him to wear.

Beitzen

The armband doesn't look like a skull to me when I enlarge the photo. It looks more like an armband similar to this one. Also look at the boy under the flag who appears to wear the same armband. Photo is from WAF and appears to have fake stamp added to it or be a reproduction.

Attachments

Great photo! I agree with Darin, the armbands being worn by the two boys look like the one above. I would guess homemade flag as well, being very early.

Regards

Russ

The armband doesn't look like a skull to me when I enlarge the photo. It looks more like an armband similar to this one. Also look at the boy under the flag who appears to wear the same armband. Photo is from WAF and appears to have fake stamp added to it or be a reproduction.

I agree with this . pretty sure its a armband as shown here. Altough the angle the band is in, makes it hard to see. Only after enlarging it , it becomes more clear.

Although it looks tantalizingly like some kind of skull armband, I think the consensus that it's a Swaz armband is correct. If you enlarge, there seems to be the ghost of a Swaz outline. There's just sun shining on it so it sort of obscures the lines. Also, I reckon there is a marine HJ boy in the pic, not a boy wearing clothes cobbled together. As Patrick said, there certainly seems to be an anchor patch there. Check these enlargements.
From left to right
1. The "skull"
2. What is plainly a Swaz armband worn by a boy further back in line (under the flag)
3. Anchor patch?

Attachments

Not necessarily a marine HJ or something like that. The navy/marine uniform-style was a very popular boys clothing.

I have seen photos from 1890'es to 1920'es, German and Danish, of boys wearing this kind of clothes, also with anchor cloth badges, and caps with tally bands.

../henrik

could be, remember that people in those days had not as much of a choice on the market. probably those cloths where on sale in many a shop. As they, already then, followed the question/demand rule of selling.

even today many uniform like cloths are up for sale in stores, and they sell like hell :laugh:

Interesting photo. As has already been said, this type of naval clothing was in fashion around that time for boys and I suspect that the boy in this picture is just dressed in civilian clothing.

Just for info though there were Marine-HJ Jungenschaften in existence as early as 1931 with the first of them being part of Darin's favourite Bann in Berlin. The Marine-hj uniform was made official in 1934 and was placed under the control of the RZM in that year. I just checked the HJ uniform book for 1933 and at that point there was no official arm patch for the Marine-HJ although a uniform is shown.

Back