Vienna Boys Choir - Wiener Sängerknaben

Thanks Received
Helmond, Netherlands. My hometown is located near
You don't have permission to view attachments.

I don't know if I ever have shown this photograph from one of the lead-singers of the Vienna Boys' Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben), nicely dressed in his performance dress with the HJ diamond upon the left upper arm andthe patch for the singers upon the left breast.

The second photograph shows the boys during a performance, also wearing the cloth sports-shirts diamond!

Maybe forum-members can show more of such rare occasions!

Attachments

That first one is a great image Wim. I remember you showing me this a year or so ago and me not having a clue what I was looking at :)

A rare set.
During the Nazi era the The Thomanerchor of Leipzig was also incorporated into the Hitler Jugend in 1937. But the government failed to introduce its ideology into the choir's repertoire because the then director Günther Ramin, who was appointed Director in 1940, concentrated on religious works. He also tried to prevent the boys from being enlisted as long as possible.

Thomanerchor 1940

Thomanerchor with Günter Ramin 1940

Attachments

Last edited:
Just found a little more on the incorporation of the Thomanerchor into the HJ. The incorporation took place on the occasion of the Reichsmusiktage in Stuttgart and the order (issued by Stabsführer Lauterbacher) was dated the 5th of November 1937. The Thomanerchor was then designated as a special unit (Sonderformation) and was directly subordinated to the Reichsjugendführung.

In May 1935 the incorporation of boys choirs was arranged and allowed. This was
noted in the "Verordnungsblatt" from the HY.

When the Gebietsführer and the leader for the choir got an agreement, the group
was in its total membership taken over, in the earliest stage assigned to a local
group. After two months the choir became an independent Gefolgschaft, directly
assigned to the Gebietsführer. The choir leader was the leader for the Gefolgschaft.

He was in contact with the department-leader for education and training, who was
responsible for appropriate training. Boys not being 14, but having a good voice could
apply. The members had to wear the regular HY-uniform. No special indications or
insignia were allowed, when the HY uniform was worn.

In May 1935 the incorporation of boys choirs was arranged and allowed. This was
noted in the "Verordnungsblatt" from the HY.

When the Gebietsführer and the leader for the choir got an agreement, the group
was in its total membership taken over, in the earliest stage assigned to a local
group. After two months the choir became an independent Gefolgschaft, directly
assigned to the Gebietsführer. The choir leader was the leader for the Gefolgschaft.

He was in contact with the department-leader for education and training, who was
responsible for appropriate training. Boys not being 14, but having a good voice could
apply. The members had to wear the regular HY-uniform. No special indications or
insignia were allowed, when the HY uniform was worn.

Yes, indeed Wim. While researching my lower unit lists I came across the Fähnlein for the Wiener Sängerknaben choir which was Fähnlein 18/501 (Wien-Mitte). To date, I've only found four other choir units but as you say, there will be more:

Bielefeld:
Fähnlein 10/158 (Singefähnlein)
Mädelgruppe 10/158 (Bielefelder Kinderchor)
JM-Gruppe 10/158 (Bielefelder Kinderchor)

Bruck:
Fähnlein 2/512 (Pimpfenchor)

Back