BDM glider pilot

Thanks Received
Here's a small lot from a BDM glider pilot.

Alwine Wipperfürth, born 6 January 1920.

From January to July 1940 she studied Sport at the Philipps University in Margurg/Lahn (Hochschulinstitut für Leibesübungen, Universität Marburg/Lahn (Philipps Universität)).

From 15 March to 28 March 1940 she had 38 flights in a Grunau 9 glider at the university-airfield in Cyriaxweimar.

After 1933 very few female pilots were trained. They had to stay home and be a good Hausfrau.

Photo 1, 2 and 3: NSFK glider-book
Photo 4: Photo from her study and ID booklet
Photo 5: Grunau 9 glider

/henrik

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Great stuff Henrik.I am always intrigued by the breaking of the gender barriers during the 3rd Reich.Wouldn;t this girl been the exception rather than the normal?

That is great! You would not expect to see a girl flying gliders at that time in Germany.

Great stuff Henrik.I am always intrigued by the breaking of the gender barriers during the 3rd Reich.Wouldn;t this girl been the exception rather than the normal?

This girl was one of the few.

The university where she studied Sport, was one of the few, that had their own glider training.

../henrik

One of the ways to exclude females from civil aviation, was to raise the price for training. It became very expencive. But this was not the case for men, as it was a regarded as premilitary training.

In German, but one of the best books on the subject is

Evelyn Zegenhagen: Schneidige deutsche Mädel - Fliegerinnen zwischen 1918 und 1945.

528 pages Publiched 2007. Price 42 Euro.

../henrik

Female Glider Pilots WWII

I recently added about 50 photographs to my NSFK collection, all showing females being trained in the piloting of gliders. Neat stuff to see some of the women glider pilot photos surfacing. No doubt these women were the rare few. I will have to upgrade my membership here to post some of the photos. Thanks for sharing!

Female Glider Pilots

Attached are a few of the photos showing female German glider pilots during the war.

Attachments

Henrik/Ein Flieger

Great pictures guys:thumbup:

These women could have made excellent Luftwaffe pilots had they been given the opportunity !

Nick

Back