A bit of advice on document storage please

Thanks Received
What is the best way to store documents, period books etc

I have kept my items in platic folders/envelopes is that a no no ?

Thanks Nick

Document storage

Go to the Lindner stamp site,they have everything that you would need to store documents ,coins ,letters stamps match book covers ,phone cards post cards.a little pricey but good German product

To store older papers correctly you would need to store them in acid-free papers or acid-free folders. These are pricey and your local museum or archive should be able to tell you where you could get them cheapest. Also acid-free plastic pouches are great. If you use nowadays papers, pouches and folders it will harm the old papers. There will be chemical reactions wich reduce the ability of the paper to bend and it will eventually break an fall to pieces. This is not a fast process but it will happen over the years. The poorer the paper quality is the higher the risk. So papers from the late war years are more endangered than peace time productions. Also try to avoid to touch the items with unwashed hands. Thin silk or cotton gloves are great. This would be the best you can do besides watching for a good temperatur and humidity. And keep the bugs/siverfish/moths/wifes away!
I don't do all of this myself, but that is how it should be done.:001_unsure:

To store older papers correctly you would need to store them in acid-free papers or acid-free folders. These are pricey and your local museum or archive should be able to tell you where you could get them cheapest. Also acid-free plastic pouches are great. If you use nowadays papers, pouches and folders it will harm the old papers. There will be chemical reactions wich reduce the ability of the paper to bend and it will eventually break an fall to pieces. This is not a fast process but it will happen over the years. The poorer the paper quality is the higher the risk. So papers from the late war years are more endangered than peace time productions. Also try to avoid to touch the items with unwashed hands. Thin silk or cotton gloves are great. This would be the best you can do besides watching for a good temperatur and humidity. And keep the bugs/siverfish/moths/wifes away!

Good advice, thanks :thumb:

Nick

I have been going to the local comic book store to get their slip covers.

They have everything from small comic book size to large Time-Life magazine size.

Hope this helps.

:001_smile:

Excellent explanation.

Just one question... how is the translation "auf Deutsch":blushing:, I dont know the translation I would like try to search for those folders here in Muenchen.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Antonio

Thans

Deutsch, für Antonio und andere Sammler

Um alte Papiere aufzubewahren sollte man sie nur mit säurefreiem Papier oder säurefreinen Mappen in Berührung bringen. Diese sind teuer und ein Museum oder Archiv in Deiner Heimatstadt kann sicher am Besten weiterhelfen wo man säurefreie Dokumentenmappen am preisgünstigsten erwerben kann. Auch Plastik-Taschen und Beutel und auch sogenannte Dokumentenhüllen müssen unbedingt säurefrei sein. (Gilt auch bei Postkartenhüllen.) Heutige Papiere und Mappen beinhalten chemische Substanzen (z.B. Weichmacher und Säuren) die alte Papiere angreifen. Das alte Papier verliert seine Elastizität und wird brüchig und zerbrechlich. Dies ist kein schneller Vorgang sondern verläuft unsichtbar und schleichend über Jahre. Je schlechter die Papierqualität ist, desto gefährdeter sind die Papiere. Daher sind Papiere aus den letzten Kriegsjahren wesentlich gefährdeter als Papier aus Friedensproduktion. Papiere sollten nie mit ungewaschenen Händen angelangt werden, am besten sind ganz dünne Seiden- oder Baumwollhandschuhe. Daneben solltest Du darauf achten, das die Temperatur und die Luftfeuchtigkeit im Winter und Sommer kaum variiert. Und halte Ungeziefer, Motten, Silberfische und Ehefrauen fern.
Ich bekomme das auch nicht immer alles so ganz perfekt hin, aber so sollte es eigentlich gemacht werden. :001_rolleyes:

To store old papers they should only come in contact with acid-free paper or acid-free folders. These are expensive and a museum or archive in your home city can help to find acid-free folders at the best rates. Also, any plastic bags and so-called Document Holders must be acid free. (the same applies to postcard wallets). Today's papers and portfolios include chemical agents (plasticizers and acids) which attack old paper. The old paper loses its elasticity and becomes brittle and fragile. This is not a quick process but runs invisibly and insidiously over the years. The worse the quality of paper is, the more vulnerable they are. Therefore, papers from the last years of the war are much more vulnerable than paper from civilian production. Papers should never be touched with unwashed hands, the best method is to wear very thin silk or cotton gloves. In addition, you should ensure that variations in temperature and humidity in winter and summer are kept to a minimum. Keep bugs, moths, silverfish and wives away. I don't always get it right but that's the way it should be done.

Vielen Dank Christian, sehr nett von dir / Thanks Christian, really nice from you.

BRILLIANT TRANSLATION, Danke

regards

Antonio

Back