Hochlandlager 1935 Lenggries paper visitor's pass?

Thanks Received
not sure how to explain this item??
but kinda strange that the backside has a date for 1936?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Oh how cool is that :) This could be the answer to something I read and mentioned in a debate on the Hochlandlager badges with serial numbers:

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f2...ndlager-1936-badge-6679/index3.html#post57830

Garry said:
A book or pamphlet "Hochlandlager Wachvorschrift"1 was produced for guard personnel and those on such duties during the 1934 Hochlandlager. This mentions a badge that was produced by Gebiet 19 Hochland and given to visitors to the camp by gate personnel so that their arrival and time of leaving the area could be registered. The guard system was also mentioned in the book "Unser Hochlandlager

I had assumed that these would be metal but yes, of course, paper makes more sense for a visitor pass so I think what you have there is a pass given to a visitor (not participant) to the Hochlandlager 1936. We can assume, I think, that the system was the same in 1934 and in the years following that. The pass is dated because it was only valid for that day and it has a serial number because this would have been entered into a register by the camp guard. The visitor would then perhaps hand back the pass (or be allowed to keep it) when he/she left the camp and the guard could then account for that particular visitor.

Where did you find it?

Yes, that is very odd and I have no idea why 1936 is on a 1935 camp item. Perhaps not enough were made for 1936 or perhaps, as you say, they decided to reuse the 1935 stock that was left over in order to save money. I don't know. I'm just excited to see something like this. So where did you find it?

Indeed Garry. I know we were talking about this a while ago. Certainly a two-part "ticket" used, bzw. ripped in half.

is this not complete?
i got this from Mar Historical for $35 i think it was?!!

It makes sense, as Joe mentions, that the other part was ripped off. Perhaps it was kept by the camp guard to show that the pass had been issued. Probably thrown away once the visitor left the area. What you have is likely to be the half worn by the visitor.

I agree Jo. So we now have the day badges, the enamel plaques, these paper passes and the badges with the stamped serial numbers that you had under the magnifier. Something will have to give between those last two and it's not looking good for the very last one. That will need a very good, very plausible explanation now that this paper pass has turned up.

is this not complete?
i got this from Mar Historical for $35 i think it was?!!

No, it has been "ripped" like movie tickets, RPT tickets.. obviously the ripped off part would have contained the same number, one half goes into the box, the other gets worn - and taken home if the person is interested.

Garry, i have that "stamped one" still, and am sure that it`s not original, i just dont have the time to put any more study into it to "show" just yet. It is only my very long list of things to get done.

Garry, i have that "stamped one" still, and am sure that it`s not original, i just dont have the time to put any more study into it to "show" just yet. It is only my very long list of things to get done.

:thumb:

Today i do :)

Need to find a way to host 5-10MB images, still working on that.
Have found the time to take a really good look at it, and i`ll stick to my original opinion - post war fantasy item, and judging by the base metal used, and the quality of the actual metal sheeting that was used for these, American without the slightest doubt. (for me)
By the way, do we know of any other small badges yet that show this attachment? :lol:

And do we know of other examples of badges that have their individually hand stamped numbers filled with enamel?

Think about this again, a totally unnecessary "extra and costly" procedure, meaning that a worker had to paint the enamel into each badge, then put them all back into the enamel oven. I say "costly" because i am going on the assumption that thousands were made, they show numbers in their thousands on the face - also..
But if thousands were not made, and only a few were (i dont know, 50-100 or so..) then it`s not such a big step. It is also a step away from the norm, hence the question: What other badge show this "enameling of the individual numbers"
It is also a step into the same direction with the attachment. It is just not Third Reich or even German, and if you wish to argue this point then you need to S H O W others, and not just assume.

The material is another step away from how genuine Third Reich, in particular Hitler Youth badges were made. It`s not messing, it is simply a white magnetic metal, that has been bronzed. So it is trying to look like plain messing/bronze.

So, we have a most unusual magnetic creation, with the numbers crudely hand stamped into the obverse and subsequently enameled. Then it has been fitted with a really impractical attachment, the likes of that have never been seen before or after? with a piece of rubber included for fun. Why? and can you tell me when you ever saw a piece of rubber on a badge attachment before?, Do we really need to round this off with details images? I will of course, but common sense really is enough :sad:

Attachments

I put a toothpick into number 1 and scraped, and almost all the red turned into powder and came out, so it is definitely not hard enamel. No idea really, maybe a thin layer of liquid paint enamel? or finger paints? lol
After seeing how it was made, iron with a bronze wash, and seeing that the attachment had been soldered on then bronzewashed at the same time, that would have to be the final step and the badge cant go back into the oven - so logically it cant have been enameled after, at least not back into a 1200° enamel oven, so thats why i picked up the toothpick and tried.

It`s big brother is a messing/tombac material thats been bronze coated.

Attachments

Last edited:
Back