Streifendienst Course Award Document

Thanks Received
Here's an interesting item I recently acquired: 4th place certificate for good performance in the 4. Streifendienst Training Course at the SS Signals Training School, Nuernberg, 1942. Signed by an SS-Sturmbannfuehrer. Unfortunately, I can't make out his signature.

Streifendienst items are uncommon at the best of times. First time I've seen a Streifendienst Urkunde.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Damn fine looking document Toby. Very attractive and interesting item :thumbup1:

Thanks Garry. It's approx. A4 in size (looks more like a postcard in my photo). I don't suppose you can make out the signature can you?

Unfortunately not Toby. Looks like Ru.. I had a quick Google but although there are references to the SS-Nachrichten-Ausbildungs-Abteilung in Nürnberg I can't find a commander.

Thanks for taking a look Garry. I couldn't make it out.

Mystery solved though. Max History has id'd it for me. It is the signature of Later SS-Sturmbannführer (later Obersturmbannführer) Hans Rüger, Corps Signals Officer with 2.SS Panzerkorps.

Thanks for the comments. It certainly has great display potential.

Man oh man , that document is just too cool .

Thanks everyone. Glad you all like it. It would be interesting to know what the course entailed.

A little supplementary information on the HJ Streifendienst:

The Patrol Service of the H.J. (Streifendienst der Hitler-Jugend) was an elite patrol service which acted as a junior police force and generally supervised all members during and after service hours. It can be likened to a pre- or junior SS and in fact was intended to provide future generations of SS leaders. The HJ-Streifendienst often trained with the SS and courses (Streifendienst-Lehrgange) were held with such notable elements as the Leibstandarte-SS "Adolf Hitler". [ German Militaria Blog: The Waffen-SS "Hitler Youth" Division ]

Gerhard Heiken, born 28. October 1924, participated in a "HJ Streifendienstlehrgang" in KZ Dachau in 1940. [ http://geschichte.verdi.de/vorort/nds-hb/einmischen/broschuere/data/gesamt-broschuere.pdf ]

For those of you who can read German, here's his story (I haven't got the time right now to translate, sorry):

"1940: Teilnahme an einem HJ-Streifendienstlehrgang im Konzentrationslager (KZ) Dachau, konnte damals mit der Bezeichnung KZ nichts anfangen! Wurde dort gleich nach der Ankunft in eine neue feldgraue Uniform der WaffenSS eingekleidet, was einen Motivationsschub brachte!!! Nach ca. 1 Woche bei einem Stubenappell nach Meldung unseres Rottenführers an einen kontrol lierenden SSUnterscharfführer hörte ich in einem kurzen Gespräch zwischen Beiden den Satz: „Das Krematorium dampft heute mal wieder“. Den Begriff „Krematorium“ kannte ich nicht und habe mich auch nicht
dafür interessiert. Ich habe nur diesen Satz nie vergessen. Erst nach dem Krieg erfuhr ich, was ein Krematorium und ein KZ wirklich bedeuteten, denn von den Inhaftierten wurden wir streng ferngehalten! Nach 14 Tagen wurden wir aufgefordert, uns schriftlich umden freiwilligen Dienst in der WaffenSS zu melden. Ich wollte das aber nicht, weil ich ja, wie Galland und Mölders, Jagdflieger werden wollte. Man schickte mich nach dieser Entscheidung zurück nach Hause Gottsei’s gedankt!"

../henrik

Thanks for the info Henrik.

Rough translation utilising my schoolboy German:

Heiken was a participant of a Streifendienst Training Course at Dachau Concentration Camp. Upon arrival he was given an SS uniform to wear - quite a motivation, he writes. After about a week there, he heard a conversation between two officers concerning the crematorium. He was not familiar with the term so didn't take much interest. However, he never forgot the sentence. After the war he became aware of the significance of a crematorium and a concentration camp. After 14 days training he successfully completed the course and was allowed to volunteer for the Waffen-SS. He didn't want this though: he wanted to be a fighter pilot like Galland and Moelders. After this decision, he was sent home, thanks to God.

Just wanted to add a little detail from regulations dated 1941.

Apart from Streifendienst (SRD ) training courses which were held at a Reichsausbildungslager (Reich training camp), Streifendienst training was conducted by the SS in one of two locations:

SRD Gefolgschaftsführer and Scharführer were trained exclusively in the Leibstandarte-SS barracks in Lichterfelde
Lower ranks from the SRD were trained in the SS training school in Senheim. The maximum age of those under training was 17.

A regulation from 1941 forbids courses from being held anywhere other than in one of these two locations. But... later in the regulation there is a sentence stating that applications for courses to be held in a different location should be discussed with the Streifendienst personnel office (Streifendienst-Personalamt) so clearly the courses held in the SS Signals Training Regiment in Nürnberg came under this part of the regulation. Putting a young boy into Dachau (even in 1940) for an SRD course may have been another reason for the introduction of stricter guidelines...

What I'd like to establish is whether there were two different types of course at this point: instruction/familiarisation on the SS (recruiting seminars to tempt the boys to join once they reached 17) and instruction on SRD matters. There is a period book 'Dienstanweisung für den Streifendienst' which may well contain that info and I'd love to find it.

Very interesting Garry. I wasn't aware of how tightly controlled the schooling of SRD members was, though I suppose it was to be expected.

Ever the optimist I plugged the name of the book into Google. No luck but I did find quite an interesting article on the function of SRD etc.

Unbenanntes Dokument

Yes, the problem with illegal youth groups was never really resolved and grew worse as the war progressed as that page shows. The involvement of the SS in SRD training (and in the Landdienst) was all about recruiting and to be expected as you say Toby.

Very interesting thread. I didnt realise the higher ranking SRD were trained at Lichterfelde ! It must have been an honour for them being around the LSAH troops!

Nick

Back