Dispatch case to identification

Thanks Received
Hello,

I have a dispatch case of unknown origin. It is actually very similar to standard WH officer's dispatch case but significantly different and rather simpler.

The differences include:
- natural (brown) leather,
- plain glossy leather - no grain texture,
- lack of pocket for "Deckungswinkelmesser",
- larger flap,
- assymetry of belt straps,
- stamping.

As far as I know, the plain glossy cases were used earlier by Reichswehr. There are still too many differences to say it's one of them, however. The stamping says "G. Passier & Sohn, Hannover". No date is given.

The seller told me that his father was a member of HJ, but didn't know if it was the origin of this case as well. Did they use this kind of map cases? I found nothing on the internet, actually and never heard about it.

Maybe you have any other ideas?

My main questions are:
- Is it military/paramilitary or civil case? If not civil - which organisation used it?
- Why are the straps so assymetric? They don't seem to be modified in any way (and I have two identical cases with identical straps' lenght). The way the leather is worn out suggests that is was wore as on the third picture (meldekartentasche_03.jpg) - heavily assymetric. But why and how exactly was it wore?

Best regards,
Artur

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Looking at the asymmetry of the straps my first thought is that the case was designed to be attached to a saddle and indeed G. Passier & Sohn, Hannover is still producing saddles today so this must be a case designed for attachment to a saddle. Whether it is of pre-1945 production will need further research though.

Perfect! Seems to be a good guess, as I've seen some horse-tackling parts among the seller's items as well. At home I'll look to my W. Reibert's book for mounted troops and let here know if I found something interesting.

One more question: Does the pencil signature (meldekartentasche_02.jpg) seem familiar to you?

Hi,

Unfortunately not. Looks like HS or HF - possibly the owner's monogram?

Most possibly, but actually I haven't asked. I guess it can be HS, HF or HJ as well - that's why I asked if it seemed familiar to you.

Thanks once again!

Back