Thanks Received
Hi all

Recently picked up this flute of the type I believe was used the DJ and HJ.

The flute is not maker, or RZM marked.

This item came from a large group of DJ and HJ items being sold locally. There were 2 side drums, belt and buckle with cross strap, bread bag and canteen, scarf knot, 2 drum hangers and a fanfare trumpet. I also picked up the fanfare trumpet and one drum hanger, shown in separate threads.

Regards

Russ

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Russ,

Looks like you've been doing well with your buys lately. I don't know if you caught this thread: http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f38/musical-instruments-used-hitler-youth-deutsches-jungvolk-3927/ but it mentions the Querpfeife (English: Fife) as being an item not regulated by the RZM so there will, I assume, have been a variety of these flutes in use back then.

In October 1941 ("Der Dienst in den Musikeinheiten der Hitler-Jugend" (Service in the musical units of the Hitler Youth)) the RJF stipulated an authorised flute that was black with silver fittings, had a length of 375mm and had the RJF eagle visible below the mouthpiece. The word "Wehrmachtsausführung" is also mentioned so clearly the officially approved HJ Querpfeife at this point was basically the Wehrmacht flute with RJF eagle. The above link has one of these regulation items (post #8).

Hi Garry

Many thanks for the info you have provided here. Yes, quite lucky, especially coming from my own backyard so to speak!

When I saw this item for sale I did a search here and found the thread you have linked above. I was not familiar with the 'fife' so was trying to find some documented examples to compare the item with.

The one I bought is exactly the same as that shown in post 8/9, but without the case. It is also not marked but is the same 'regulation' length of 375mm.

I've tried to remove the end piece, as shown on the one in the thread, but it is fixed fast, and don't want to cause any damage to it.

Although un-marked, it is good to have an example of the type used by the Youth, perhaps actually used by them, prior to the regulations concerning how they should be marked.

Regards

Russ

Back