HJ Donation Diamond Nail Artwork- Information please

T

Texasveteran

Here is my HJ Donation Diamond nail artwork. It measures 23 inches high by 13 inches wide. It is made of wood.

When a Donation is made, a nail was hammered in to create the design. The design is completely filled in so the boys made the donation goal.

The back says Bavaria Bayreuth and a Bann number?

Does anyone know more information?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Nice item :thumb: "Gef 3/I/B7" stands for "Gefolgschaft 3/Unterbann I/Bann B7". This is the early numbering convention for units prior to Feb 1935 and the removal of the Unterbann number. You can see the name of Bann B7 here. Bann B7 became Bann 307 after the final removal of the "B" prefix from 1.1.1936.

I have some information on these donation diamonds somewhere and will post when I find it.

Hello,
There is two-page (in German) about the HJ-Nagelbrett in Militaria magazine January/February 2008.
I will try to make a scan of the article.

Attachments

It's been a while but I did promise it further up the page :) More info on the Wappenschild:

They were introduced as part of the drive to raise money for the WHW with the order explaining the purpose of the shields and their procurement being dated 21.10.1933. The firm charged with the production and delivery of the shields was Gottfried Glasmachers in Essen. Advertising materials were also distributed by the RJF. The shields came with a hammer and cost 11,75RM. Initially, units had been instructed to place orders directly with the firm but a later instruction mentioned that the firm was experiencing "technical difficulties" possibly due to the sheer number of orders going in. A later RJF order stated that each Bannführer would receive 40 sets for distribution at Gefolgschaft (and equivalent) level.

The handover of the shields to lower units was in the form of an official parade with speeches being given by the Bannführer and a representative of the WHW. After the parade, units marched to their respective areas (usually places of learning and public places) and from 09:30 and 17:30 they attempted to get their shields as full as possible. Each nail cost 0,05RM with each shield having pre-marked places for 425 black and 1060 silver nails respectively meaning that a completed shield was worth 74,25RM. From this, the purchase price of 11,75RM was deducted leaving a net total per shield of 62,50 for the WHW. Accounting was very strict and units were not allowed to lose a single nail. The day chosen for the first HJ WHW event was the 19th of Nov 1933.

Full shields became the property of the respective unit. Any shields not full by the end of the day remained in use until full with the final deadline for raised monies to be sent to the WHW being the 25th of Nov. On the 28th of November the Reichsjugendführer congratulated the youth for their huge success on the day.

Back